Wells

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Jon-Barta, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Jon-Barta

Jon-Barta Senior Refuge Member

looking for feed back on non irrigation types wells that you guy are using to keep water open with. How many gpm are they, how shallow/deep is your body of water. Thanks

2. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

My cousins pump I believe is 120gpm, we put a valve on it so we could restrict the flow down when it got to about the level we wanted. Ran it 24/7, would keep a pretty good hole open.

3. Jon-Barta

Thanks Josh. I have a outflow so I could run it without worrying about flooding everything. How big of a hole are you talking? The number that has been throw at me by a couple other people is 150 gpm to keep a good amount of water showing.

4. fowlplay17

fowlplay17 New Member

I'm not sure what our gpm is on our pump but we have a 3/4 hp submersible well we use to keep our pond open. It works great! The pond is 75 yards long and 35 yards wide. Depth varies from knee deep on one end to thigh deep on the other end. It easily kept a 40 yard x 25 yard hole open in the middle, even on the coldest days last year and the year before that. We installed a new "plumbing" system that really helped out a lot! The pump has a 2" discharge that we "T" off of to a main 1.5" poly pipe loop. Then every 20 feet or so put in a valve to regulate the flow so that it was even all the way around. We set it up so each valve discharge location had similar surface disturbance around the pond. The valves on the shallow end were almost off but the valves in the deeper water, also furthest from well, were nearly wide open. We put landscape blocks and heavy window weights to hold the poly pipe on the bottom to avoid tripping hazards. Also, we use a short piece of re-bar attached to the valves to keep them pointed the right direction. The pump is on a 30 minute cycle and it does an excellent job with maintaining open water. If you have any questions or want some pictures let me know!

5. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

I will agree with 40yd x 25yd. Seemed like it kept the most water open if depth was knee deep or less.

6. Siouxcitysmitty

Siouxcitysmitty New Member

We put in a "domestic well" about a year ago. A "domestic" well in Nebraska is required to be <50 gpm, and no permit is required. Only a registration of the well. The well, along with 2 ice eaters does a great job of keeping a 30x40 yd hole open in just about any kind of cold we get in the panhandle. Basically, everything in the pic stays open.

Attached Files:

7. Jon-Barta

Fowlplay, would love to see some pics! Love spread pics way more then pile pics!

8. Jon-Barta

Sioux, thanks for the pic. Have you tried running just the pump with out the blowers? I have two kascos now, just trying to see if the well itself will keep a bigger hole open then those. Running a well and 2 blowers would be more then I want to spend a season in the hopes of shooting a duck!

9. Jon-Barta

fowl, how big is your well? 4'', 6''?

10. fowlplay17

fowlplay17 New Member

JB,
    We inherited the well when we took over the blind from a group of my friends. I didn't install it but I believe it is a 6" casing.

Here are some pic's for ya...

ajj16 likes this.