West Virginia relaxes concealed carry laws.

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Bay Bob, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Bay Bob

Bay Bob Elite Refuge Member

"Updated agreements were necessary given the 2009 Legislature?s passage and the Governor?s approval of H.B. 3314. In part, H.B. 3314 allowed West Virginia for the first time to honor non-resident licenses issued by reciprocity states. The law went into effect July 10, 2009."

So now your non-resident concealed carry permit is recognized in WV, it was not just about a month ago.

Best print a copy of HB 3314 and carry it with you though - - - being West Virginia and all :D :D :D

http://www.wvago.gov/gunrecep.cfm

2. seastreet

seastreet Banned

Huh??? I was in WV over a year ago and carried concealed. Even checked my 9mm in my luggage with US Airways. NC has had reciprocity with WV for some time now. I know that WV is more relaxed in their laws than NC. In WV, you can carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol by the drink, whereas in NC, you cannot.

3. Bay Bob

WV would honor your NC CCP because you were a resident of NC.

If you had a Virginia CCP and were a resident of Maryland, like me, then they would not previously honor the CCP because you were not a resident of the state where the permit was issued.

Fortunately that has changed, and I spend a lot of time in WV :D

4. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Here are some thoughts and questions about concealed carry...

I am spending more and more time in Cape Charles. Although I am an MD resident, can I get a VA CCW?

Not sure what I should look for to carry.

I have a nice M-1911, but it has target sights and may not be good as they might snag clothing.

I have a retired Berlin police pistol, a French made (Manhurin) version of the Walther P-38.

Also have a S&W 5-shot .38 SPL snubby, and a 9 shot .22 Mag revolver snubby.

Can I get by on one or more of those, or do I need to go out and plunk down a bunch more money for something? Given that the likelihood of ever needing to take it out, and given that having something that works is better than having nothing at all, is an expensive purchase justified?

THanks for your thoughts!
    David

5. Bay Bob

The Virgina permit is relatively easy- - -

fingerprints - - - your local State Police Barrcks $5
    passport photo - Walmart $9
    copy of your DD214 - to verify competence
    notarized application $couple bucks
    cashiers check for $100 for 5 years

go here and request a packet

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

You do not need an expensive gun to carry, but you should be 100% confident that it works 100% of the time.

I carry a holstered medium autoloader, 7.62x25, when convenient, and a pocket sized.380 when the holster is too obvious.

Problem is getting your handgun legally out of maryland, as I read the regs it needs to be in a locked compartment, not the glove compartment or center console unless you are going to and from a range, even informal, or hunting.

I picked up a locking pistol box at Wal-mart for $20 and use a heavy chain and lock to secure it to the frame in the back seat of the truck.

The locked requirement falls back on the federal law permitting you to transport if from where you can legally posses it (your home?) to another place you can legally possess it (the state that approves your carry).

I may be overreading it, but where the Maryland *******s are concerned, better safe than sorry !

6. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

7. drylok

drylok Elite Refuge Member

Would that include PA permit holders who are not residents of PA?