whacha shoot for a bow?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Scout, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

What kind of bow do you bowhunters use for hunting season? I shoot a Mathews Q2, 66lbs, 27inch draw, Scott Rhino release, 3-28 ACC arrows, Rocky Mountain Revolution -or- Rocky Titanium 85 broadheads. If I'm stalking, on the ground, or through a corn field, I usually take my recurve. It's a Dan Quillin, Archery Traditions "Canebrake" - 65# @ 28".
    Post up what you shoot....

2. jberry

jberry Elite Refuge Member

This will be my first season with an MQ1. I'd been shooting a Clearwater for the past 3 years but decided to change this year. I'm still debating on what setup I want to hunt with, probably either 2213's or acc 3-39's. I shoot it at 68# and 30" draw. I like to stay as flat shooting as possible since we hunt a lot of open ground, some of shots get out there a little.

3. featheredfriend

featheredfriend Elite Refuge Member

Shoot PSE fireflite. Muzzy broadheads on carbon arrows (2300). Shoot w/ bare fingers, no tabs or gloves. All of my hunting thus far has been instinctive as well, tho I did start using sights for some of my target practice.

4. David @ The Refuge

David @ The Refuge Founder Moderator

I shoot a Matthews SoloCam Featherweight. I have a 55lb pull, and shoot carbon arrows with muzzy expandable broadheads weighing in a 90 grains.

I love this bow, it is lite in weight, and pretty fast shooting.

David

5. TnGreenhead

TnGreenhead Senior Refuge Member

High Country Carbon Force Extreme Pro, Gold Tip carbon arrows at 23 in, 100gr muzzys at 67 lb pull wit a 25 in pull super smooth and quiet.

6. Tree

Tree Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a Hoyt Intec bow, Muzzy broadheads, Mongoose release,and of cource use Easton Arrows (kind of a job requirment).

I also sometimes shoot a Wes Wallace recurve that is a ton of fun to shoot.

Mark

7. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

A gettin up there in years PSE Carol Intruder at 66lbs. Gold tips (made switch last year from Bemans tipped with Wasp CCL's) with 100 gr Thunderheads. Eradicator bow sight new change for last year and I don't regret it for a minute (www.eradicator.com) if you're interested. Winn release. I don't stalk, just hunt from trees in farmland. No problem whackin' bucks with this set up.

8. kywaterfowler

kywaterfowler Moderator Moderator

Most Northeastern part of Southeast Central Kentuc
    I shoot a HCA Dynasty one cam and 100gr Thunderhead tipped Beman carbon arrows. I am using a HHA TM hunter type rest with a Pro Hunter fiberoptic crosshair sight along with an 5" X-Ring stabilizer.

I have ordered a Browning Ambush and will be using Bemans and an arrow rest called the Whisker Biscuit thanks to TnGreenhead!

I shot a friends Browning Backdraft and was really impressed with it....that is why I am going with the Ambush.

I will never shoot aluminum arrows again!

9. Sweet Talker

Sweet Talker Senior Refuge Member

I've got a Mathews MQ1 29" draw @70 lbs. I shoot Wasp jak-hammer 100 gr. broadheads and Easton A/C/C 3-60 arrows. I can't wait to get to the deer woods!!!

10. PerazzMX2000

PerazzMX2000 Guest

I shoot a 68 inch 60 pound Kohannah Longbow...cedar arrows and Delta broadheads...also shoot flu flu's for duck's and geese :)