Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

What 6.5hp motor for a pff longtail?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Anchovy Andrew, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Anchovy Andrew

Anchovy Andrew New Member

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pff mud motor kit and I now need to decide on a motor. It’s going on the momarsh. I can choose between a Honda gx 200 or a predator 212cc. The million dollar question is the Honda worth an extra $250? Would love to hear from someone with real world experience.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Yes, Honda, if you can afford it, will outlast the Pred's and have less problems and easier to find parts and repairs down the road. Spend the money up front and be done with it is a better option in my opinion.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

How many Predators would that $250 buy, especially if you want to upgrade to a bigger Predator. Guys are buyinhg the Predators a lot for high performance go carts, mini dragsters etc, for a reason. The Predator is a copy of the Honda.

4. Anchovy Andrew

Anchovy Andrew New Member

picked this guy up from a local store this morning. Slightly used but overall 9/10 condition $200. Very happy now waiting for the pff kit to arrive.

Attached Files:

5. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Good deal on the honda. For what it's worth to anyone else in the same situation- my predator engines have worked great for years now and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

dwhauss likes this.
  6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Saw a guy yesterday at the boat launch with a Predator motor on a longtail kit. He was happy with it.

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have an 03 Honda 6.5 on a BT longtail. It is not my primary boat. I use it only for shallow stuff or spots too small to launch my 1754. That said, the motor starts on the first pull if you do the right stuff. It is not hopped up, just factory stock but deadly reliable with nothing but oil changes maybe every two years,

With that said; if it died, I would try a predator!