What a Late Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by soiltester, Aug 18, 2014.

1. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

I can hardy believe the size of the 2 poults I can make out in this cam pic. at my food plott!! Going to be interesting to see how many the hen has in her brood??

[​IMG]

2. 2n1shot

2n1shot Senior Refuge Member

Most likely from a renesting attempt. I saw ~25 poults with 3 or 4 hens Friday and they were as big as a dominicker rooster and could fly pretty good.

3. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I agree a re-nest.

Doug

4. soiltester

I should have said a late/2nd setting, as I had 4 hens(1 bearded) that didn't bring off their hatches. It probably was because of predation as I have exterminated 16 or so, predation critters so far this year!!
    Had 1 hen earlier w/2 poults, that moved to the neighbors pasture field area.

5. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

Renesting is what really helps the turkey population survive.

These late broods are the reason we see those beardless jakes in the spring. The little guys are still not dry behind the ears and able to grow a beard LOL

When we have winters like last year here in Michigan I doubt that a lot of these late hatches survive but that is mother nature.

Soiltester don't forget to shot all the crows you can as they are nasty nest robbers egg eaters.

6. Wally Dog

Wally Dog Senior Refuge Member

Surely better late than never.........reckon those will be jakes with invisible beards next spring!

7. soiltester

When our 4# Yorkie passes on, I sure will be thinnin' crows out, but for now, the crows keep the hawks away & also for the poults at my food plott ;)

My farmer buddiy in Gratiot County, MI, ran a hen's nest over in late Oct., 2 falls ago in an old set-a-side field :eek: Now those chicks sure wouldn't have made it!!:doh

8. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Having seen grouse sized poults in february one year, and tiny poults in the fall months l ve come to the conclusion that as the population grows in an area the birds seem to breed almost year round, given moderate weather conditions. Having had the worst winter in decades this past year, it is not surprising to see very small chicks at such a late date in this summer, as many hens probably were not in good physical condition for breeding earlier in the normal breeding cycle time frame.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  9. soiltester

I wouldn't doubt a late hatched hen poult, when it 1st matured, would breed later than another normal hatched hen, for at least the 1st time;)

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

I have seen several sets of little ones running around here too.