What a Late Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by soiltester, Aug 18, 2014.

1. schlag

schlag Senior Refuge Member

Three weeks ago my uncle was cutting and bailing hay in Central Minnesota. He had baby turkeys that were only a day or 2 old trying to hide under his rows of hay as he was trying to bale it. He had to pick them up and bring them to the edge of the woods. I saw some the year before that were also born in about August 1st. Winter where they are starts about December 1st with a roar.

2. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Nothing that small around here, grouse sized.......and quite a few groups of those in the fields.

3. duck recruiter

duck recruiter Senior Refuge Member

I have a hen in front of my house that had a clutch in late May; and I know for a fact that they didn't do well. I see her yesterday in the neighbors yard with 4 little ones and they were only about a pound. I think she renested because; two weeks ago I was back behind my house and I saw three hens with 12 or so polts. These little ones were about 1/2 the size of their mothers.

4. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Update .. appears she only has one chick now!!! :(

[​IMG]

5. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

fwiw, i think biologists believe that if a hen hatches chicks from first laid nest then she will not renest in that season if those hatched chicks are lost; if eggs/nest is destroyed before the eggs actually hatch then hen has fifty-fifty likelihood of renesting.