Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

What a Shame . . .

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by HatterWayne, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Things are looking up! After a very slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww start in Maryland I hopped over to Jersey yesterday (solo with my pup). Turned out to be a pretty good morning on the salt marsh.
    PA280661.JPG

2. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

I haven't posted here in two years. After having a kid in the recession and moving into management in the recession, my ability to chase the fickle flocks of the Atlantic Flyway from NYC to OBX really took a hit, and continues to take a hit. I can bow hunt with minimal prep (assuming I do lots of pre-season prep) less than 10 minutes from home. Solid duck hunting is 2 hours plus from home anymore. The gravy train waterfowl seasons of 2006-2008, and even 2009-2011, are long since passed. By 2012 I was getting skunked more days than I shot, and a few trips to hunt (and fish) other flyways pretty much showed me that my money and time are not well spent hunting the Chesapeake Bay region. The cards are easy to read - harvest #s keep going down in MD and keep going up in NY. And once you've seen mallards in Nebraska, geese in eastern Colorado, or the hodge podge of "swamp ducks" in Florida, it's that much more convincing. I've lived my entire life in NC, VA, and MD so my love for this region is real, but I'm young enough (43) that I still want to kill birds "more often than not" when I hunt, and also at a point (with a kid in Catholic school) that $1500-3000/year for Maryland waterfowl property is not a priority.

7bartman likes this.
  3. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

4. 7bartman

7bartman Elite Refuge Member

I know how you feel on many fronts.

5. Freyguy

Freyguy Elite Refuge Member

I was reminded of this place last night as I patched up a substantial hole in the boots I purchased from Hatterwayne forever ago. Today is the gun deer opener in Delaware and I knew that buckshot sized hole would make for wet socks as I trekked across the field and knocked off the morning dew. The soles are about as slick as whale snot, and the dry rot has been taking them over. Sure, I could go get one of the fancy new pairs, but where’s the fun in that? These boots have character, and a ton of good stories. Just like you old guys on here. :nutz

Glad to see some old names still active. I’m currently sitting in a pop up deer blind with my 10 & 12yo boys. Chase, the 10yo shot a nice 8pt last year for his first deer. Now Cole is on a mission to get something. Cole did get a hen widgeon for his first duck last year. Times have changed, and so has my focus. But, I’m still having a blast!!!

6. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

Hi guys. I'll try to check in. Semi retired now so more time afield and on the water.

7. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Well I ran into a decent number of ducks last weekend on lower shore. Mostly widgeon. Also heard there’s a good number of Brant already down oc. Also a few hundred bluebills on 7 ft knoll n the obvious scoters are around. Might get out Thur n fri morning. Up Baltimore county the geese aren’t in there usual numbers idk what’s up with that. Been busy deer hunting I don’t usually duck hunt till 3rd split. I did catch up with this guy wed morning. Very happy to say the least. Gonna go give them widgeon a try Thur. Good luck guys.

Attached Files:

8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

That is a fine deer.