What are they thinking ?

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Manoduk, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

"The difference between genius and stupidity is: genius has its limits". Help me understand, Louisiana will open Duck Season Two weeks earlier than Missouri (south zone opens Nov28) Arkansas Nov 23. Though we may disagree on why ,I think we can all agree that what few birds are coming to Louisiana are arriving late. Hopefully, we will agree that one factor in pushing birds south is hunter pressure. The migration has changed in NW La. for whatever reason. 20 yrs ago we begged for an early opening but things have changed. If our so called expert and Commison just don't get it, then just follow Ark lead. If opening early is so important then open for a weekend and reopen weekend Ark opens. It is just stupid for La to be open when Ark is closed. I do not profess to be an expert but I do have a little common sense. I have relayed this proposal the past three yrs but I guess no one is listening are cares. They may not come again this yr but I know they won't come until they feel a little pressure ,just too much food. A really smart guy once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" I'm not always right but I think I am, otherwise I would not express it.

2. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

They don't care. The commission won't be pleased until they have successfully ran every duck and goose away from our state. Time to start deer hunting before they totally cluster f that. You can think rational all you want, but as long as the sperry wearing frat/fag boys are in charge of our season, we the people stand alone.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

More than a few SWLA guys will tell you their duck hunting drops off after Christmas, to include at least one commissioner, so I suspect you'll find a lot more disagreement with that first point than the second. And if I just looked at last miserable season, I'd be right there with them: as my coastal marsh blind averaged 3.6 ducks per first split gun vs just 2.3 second split ducks per gun. Mallard arrival having long been the zoning bone of contention, I'll also note that we shot 25% more mallards during our 23 day first split than 37 day second split.

But I've been maintaining an accurate log for the same blind that's been hunted daily by very nearly the same number of hunters for some years now and have those numbers to consider. Working backward from 2017-2018 to 2014-2015, which is as far as I carried the exercise, I found our ducks per gun, per first/second splits ran: 3.4/4.2, 4.4/4.9, 4.3/4.2 and 5/4.1. Found the same roughly equal first split to second mix when I ran just the blind's duck numbers some years back. So I'll not quibble too loudly with our duck day allocations here.

And that includes being fine with ducks opening before other zones or more northern states, as their openings have sometimes, though not always, seemed to give us a nice new bird bump when our early birds are getting stale and have found refuge from pressure that it takes weather to shake them out of, be that locally or in those previously unhunted zones or states.

My beef is with the way specks have been mishandled. First the Commission sets ducks above Hwy 14 back "to give farmers more time to get crops out," and then they open specks even earlier there than ducks had been opening. So they've taken back what they gave the farmers and put speck hunters in the field to bang both they and the ducks out before they've a chance to settle into the region - where it's a whole lot tougher for specks to find local refuge than ducks.

4. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

This sums up the way I and lots of other people feel and made it known to the deaf ears of the commission.

5. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

“What were they thinking? “

Your question incorrectly assumes that political hacks think.

6. ericDC

ericDC Elite Refuge Member

Mano, I hate to tell you but most of SWLA kill the bulk of the birds before Christmas.

In northeast LA we do better from mid December to the end, but I would imagine that’s not so for NW and most of coastal LA.

7. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

Eric. Though I’ve hunted ducks in NW La for over 60 yrs I know nothing about the hunting south of Mansfield. I have hunted in NE La and in Ark several times but really not enough to have an opinion. I do have as good of handle about NW La as anyone. Up until a few yrs ago we killed a majority of our birds before January. That trend seems to be changing. Most of the birds we killed were Mallards, Greys and Teal. In that order. We would kill limit of Mallards and finish with Greys and teal. Interesting about 20 yrs ago the order began to change and we began killing more Greys than Mallards. It was unusual to not see birds, today it is unusual to see birds. I guess my point is why would Missouri and Ark have such a late opening if so many birds have pass thru these states. A possibility for why SE La early success is because of the proximity to SW Texas and the Central FYW. The season opens in late Oct. May not be a factor, just a thought. A friend of mind hunts in SW Texas and they too kill a lot of BW Teal and Smilin Mallards early. The last couple yrs they are asking, “where are the birds”. Like others on this forum, we also have kept logs for over 60 yrs and we began seeing a significant change in the migration about 25 yrs ago. Interesting this was about the time that the legal baiting, refugees, CRP and WRP really began to increase. Yes, I understand that other contributing factors changed like weather and ag practices. It would be really neat if we could get an unbiased study to identify the truth. However, because of the politics, commercialization (money ) and fear of those who hunt North of La losing a good thing the truth will never be identified. I smile when I hear some of these young guys who think killing 50 Teal is a great season. If something doesn’t chsnge, quickly, Duck season will be a thing of the past just like Quail season. Most you probably don’t remember how good it (Quail) was at one time. Just my opinion and right or wrong we are all on the same side. Right?

borntohunt likes this.
  8. Rick Hall

Access to what most would think excellent quail hunting (over a dozen coveys within a five-minute drive of our camp and dozens more scattered across the four parishes it held leases in) was what initially kept me down here, instead of moving on to North Dakota as planned. Changing land use put that in the rear-view mirror, and "just like quail," changing land use is now SWLA waterfowling's biggest threat. New housing, more efficient combines, improved weed control strategies, crawfishing and a whole lot more blinds per acre of remaining habitat are all working against the birds and, in turn, us.

9. Hiram Evans

Hiram Evans Senior Refuge Member

I consulted with the old Indian who lives out past the Bonne Idee and asked why ducks are scarce. He said "Me smoke on it. You come back in 3 days". Three days later he said " Buffalo God angry because white man kill the buffalo. Buffalo God have no buffalo. So now he is Duck God. He get revenge, no more duck for white man."

What can we do to fight or appease the Duck God? Make a sacrifice. Suggestions?

10. Rick Hall

Call Morris Bart.

Hugatree likes this.