What are your experiences and recommendations for semi-auto shotguns under $800?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by leftyhunter, Oct 9, 2016.

1. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Senior Refuge Member

Hi All,
    These days their are so many choices for semi-autos under $800. I am leaning towards the Stoger 3500 which gets good reviews and has a 5 year Limited Warranty. O f course their are many other choices an interesting one is the Stevens S1200 3 inch inertia shot gun but Savage only gives it a one year warranty.
    My personal experience with Under $800 semi-autos is about 7 or so years aga I bought a Stoeger inertia gun and I forgot the model number but it was not much more then $400 maybe even less. The internet reviews where roughly 50 -50 love or hate. It pointed great and was very light. Being an inertia gun it was very easy to clean and I am no mechanical genius.
    The bad part was it didn't always cycle light loads. I sent it back to Stoeger they returned it all was well then the bolt handle popped out during firing. I got frustrated and sold it to Martin b Retting in Culver City, Ca and bought the Weatherby Sa-800 which so far after hundreds of rounds is just fine and dandy. I also bought some used semi auto from Martin B Retting with a one year warranty the Browning Auto 5 and the Beretta 302 and they have always worked very well. The only criticism of the SA-08 is even with the light piston it won't always cycle the light loads such has Winchester universal which I use on pigeons. The Beretta 302 no problem.
    If MBR had a used Browning Gold or Winchester SX3 on sale for say $500 with some dings and scratches but the one year warranty I would jump on it.They did have a used Browning Auto 5 inch for $500. Nothing wrong with the Auto 5 but they are difficult to detail clean vs an inertia or modern gas gun.
    So boys and girls what has your experiences been in the above regard?
    Leftyhunter

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I've been shooting a Stoeger 2000 for several years and it owes me nothing. I carried spare parts with me and now I might be out of luck since the action bar broke and they no longer have replacement parts available nor have I been able to find one at a parts supplier. That being said, I believe Stoeger fixed a lot of issues with the 2000 when they released the 3500. I'm looking at one of those used for $500 from a guy I know. He has shot it 3 times so no real experience with that one. A friend has one and his stock broke on it. Not sure why as he didn't do anything to cause it, just looked like a bad part that failed.
    I recently shot a Browning A5 on a hunting trip (after my Stoeger broke) and loved it. Also shot a Baretta but the Browning fit me better and just worked smoother. I've always liked Browning's so I might be a bit biased.

That's my 2 cents worth.

leftyhunter likes this.
  3. leftyhunter

Hi Musher,
    Now I remember it was the Stoger 2000 that I bought. The only bad thing about buying a used Stoger is you don't get the 5 year limited warranty. I like the M 3500 feature of it having a shim kit so it should have a very good fit plus it can handle 3.5 inch shells and it has a rcoil reducer.Not to say it's the best shotgun for the money but not bad features.
    Leftyhunter

4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Find you a good used Beretta extrema 2.

Tuleman and leftyhunter like this.
  5. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

For 3" guns, you can get the Franchi Affinity for $650 or the Winchester SX3 for $800. For 3-1/2" guns, Franchi Intensity for $849 or SX3 for $850.

Seaark18 and leftyhunter like this.
  6. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

I'm still shooting a 3901. Great action and reasonably priced at the time. I've heard good things about the Beretta A300 Outlander. I've handled and shot the A300 and it's very much like the 3901.

A friend shoots sporting clays with a Mossberg 930. The occasional stove pipe, but no problems

Billy Bob and leftyhunter like this.
  7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

If you look around the web and not being in a hurry there're some almost New high dollar Auto's ( Browning , Beretta's and Remington's ) for under $800.
    Finding what fits you is more important than paying for the latest or greatest ! Spend some time at your local gun store , handle some , figure out what you
    like.......than go on a mission of finding one within your budget ! Trigger time is more important than fancy camo , as birds within your ability should have
    a hard time surviving !

leftyhunter likes this.
  8. leftyhunter

One major argument for buying a Franchi is that it has a 7 year warranty that applies only to yhe original buyer and only if purchased at a Franchi authorized dealer. How many other shotgun manufacturers have a warranty for 7 or more years?
    Leftyhunter

EvonManstein likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I'm still shooting a 3901 as well. It's the best fitting and most reliable auto I've ever had or shot. I wish they still made them.

leftyhunter likes this.
  10. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

+1 vote for A300.

Tuleman and leftyhunter like this.