What are your thoughts on subsidized flood insurance and tax payers making up the difference?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Just wondering what the fudge brain trust think of this, as most are conservatives on this site.

I do not like it at all.

2. MiteyF

MiteyF New Member

If you move to "tornado alley" and then expect anyone other than yourself to pay for your single wide that was destroyed by a *gasp* tornado...

WoodieSC likes this.
  3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

So the same could be said about the Gulf coast and east coast?

The Other David and WoodieSC like this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I live in an area where a forest fire would take my house. I don't expect the taxpayers to pick up the tab for my decision.

5. MiteyF

MiteyF New Member

Yes. Just like us here in the PNW. We live in the "ring of fire", earthquakes, while rare, happen. We know that. We take that risk. And we don't expect others to bail us out when (not if) it happens. The house I grew up in is on a 50 foot bluff above Puget Sound. Sooner or later, maybe 10 years, maybe 100 years, the house will end up in the water. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. The risk, to us, is worth living in such a beautiful place.

You take a risk wherever you live. The risks are calculated, but mother nature always has the final say. When you're somplace like the gulf coast that gets hurricanes EVERY YEAR, maybe that risk wasn't calculated as well as it should have been.

Let's not get started on the folks who die after refusing to cooperate with a MANDATORY evacuation.

WoodieSC and buck_master_2001 like this.
  6. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

If you choose to live on the water, or in a flood plain, it is a risk you took upon yourself. When I hit the lottery, I intend to live waterfront. I also intend to use my winnings to pay for my own insurance.

7. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Guess I’ll go against the grain here and say that specifically speaking of the Gulf Coast, I believe subsidized flood insurance is a good thing. Why? Hurricanes Ivan (2004) and Katrina (2005) made flood insurance virtually unaffordable for most the residents here, many of whom had calculated the risks prior to moving here decades ago, but found themselves unable to suddenly make insurance payments when their premiums more than quadrupled within a year.

coachcornbread likes this.
  8. Lip Shooter

So if a person can not afford the risk the government should pick up the difference. Gotcha.

Doc E and buck_master_2001 like this.
  9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

In certain situations, like the one I explained in my post.

Not really much different than giving people massive tax refunds for having kids, is it? I mean if people can’t afford to have kids, then they shouldn’t have them, right?

WoodieSC likes this.
  10. Lip Shooter

1000% agree with you on the kids thing, but not on subsidized housing.

Rogue Hunter likes this.