What caliber

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by RPDDOC, Jan 27, 2005.

1. RPDDOC

RPDDOC Senior Refuge Member

A friend of mine has coyote problems messing with her stock. She also has raccoon issues in the garden. The shortest shot would be 25 yards and the longest shot taken would be 125 yards for both varmits. What caliber would surfice for both? I've looked at balistics for .17 HMR and 25 WSSM. I've never shot varmits and have never shot a small caliber such as these. Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

2. B52-man

B52-man Elite Refuge Member

3 come to mind.
    .223,22-250,or a .243.

I have all 3,and they are excellant varmit guns.

3. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

is she in the city limits?

box traps will work good on the coons.

.22 mag is a real good varmint gun for both!!!!! and quiet also. hehe

4. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

The .17 does a number on coon, I haven't knocked a yote with one yet but it's just a matter of time. my main yote rifle is a 220 Swift.

5. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I have shot coyotes up to 100 yards no problem with my .17HMR and it does the deed. I would seriously think about using anything more then a rimfire to do this job as if the coyotes are messing with her livestock then she would have to be extremely careful about shooting at them and worrying about secondary targets. The .17HMR and .22WMR are both good rounds for minimizing that possibility. The .17 is better in that respect as if it hits anthing that could cause a ricochet it will pretty much dissentegrate and not be an errant projectile to damage background targets.

My primary coyote gun is either a .243WSSM or a 10 Gauge shotgun depending on which position I am shooting.

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Highly recommend the 22-250. I sold a ton of them to Coyote hunters here some years back.

7. Williefb

Williefb Elite Refuge Member

220 Swift is as good as it gets for a varmint rifle. The coons can be caught in a live trap. Honey Buns & Doughnuts are excellent bait. The coons can be relocated or ......................

8. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

I like that..

or...............

pray you dont catch a skunk in that live trap !!!!!!!!!!!

9. busman

busman Senior Refuge Member

At the ranch my 22-250 does the job, around home I have a Ruger MarkII fully suppressed (tax stamped) with a laser grip sight that works wonders on the coons and other smaller varmits. :tu

10. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

SKUNK REMOVAL

If you ever need to trap a skunk or catch one by accident and are using an open cage trap, follow this procedure to keep from getting sprayed. After you have trapped the skunk, if you want to put it down without it spraying, get a large blanket that you can't see through. Hold the blanket in front of you with your arms out stretched. Make sure that the skunk can't see your legs, only your eyes should be visible above the blanket. Now slowly walk toward the trap, if he starts to raise his tail stop walking and stand still until he lowers his tail again. Continue toward the trap until you are right in front of it, then lower the blanket over the trap to completely cover it. At this point, you can pick up the trap in the blanket and take it any place you want without getting sprayed, provided you keep it covered. Don't worry about the bottom of the trap. Set the trap on a piece of plywood on saw horses or the tail gate of your truck (this should be ready before you cover the trap with a blanket) keeping it covered. Now stand at one end of the trap and slowly pull the blanket off of the trap. When the end of the trap is just starting to show, start pulling a large plastic leaf bag over the trap as you remove the blanket, keeping the trap covered with either the blanket or the bag. Sounds hard but I've done it quite a few times. When you have the trap completely in the bag, seal the end with a twist tie. Now we are ready to put this animal to sleep. With a pencil poke a hole in one side of the bag approximately half way up the side of the trap. Take a can of spray starting fluid (ether) and spray 2 squirts into the hole and seal it with duct tape. After waiting 20 minutes, poke another hole in the bag and put in 3 squirts of fluid and seal this hole. After waiting 30 minutes, poke another hole into the bag and fill the bag with the fluid and seal the hole. In about an hour, you can remove and bury the animal.