What caliber

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by RPDDOC, Jan 27, 2005.

1. applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe Refuge Member

A 223 will be more than enough for either of them and that ammo is cheap! However, what WATERPROOF says makes alot of sense. In the end though, is not necessarily the caliber that counts, its the placement of the shot. Also, unless you just want to permanently eliminate them, you should consider the advise of others in regards to trapping the "coons. Good luck! :tu

2. 360guy

360guy Senior Refuge Member

waterproof sounds like he knows what he's talking about. never have shot any coons, but I would think they could be killed with a small rimfire? Shotgun on yotes are deadly if in range. I hunt yotes with a partner and we take turns, one of us packs a shotgun and the other one packs a rifle. 10 gauge 3 1/2 in mag loaded with #4 buckshot. 75yrds or less, dead yote. Good luck ....... be careful ......This is as bad as duck hunting as far as getting adicted.

3. Goose Sniper

Goose Sniper Elite Refuge Member

We just came upon some new loads for the .22 they are called
    .22-SSS SniperSubSonic Bullets they are 60 grain long rifle shells.

Anyone used them before?? Thoughts??

4. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Sorry Warerproof, I have to disagree with you on the .22 mag. It's lite in the tights to begin with for a humane kill on coyotes. Also, it has a track record for ricochet. It's too slow to fragment very well. IMHO, the .22 centerfires are safer around livestock.

5. bl00dtrail

bl00dtrail Refuge Member

first reply.... and it's a Winner!!!

6. bl00dtrail

bl00dtrail Refuge Member

true... although the buckshot probably wouldn't be effective past 60-85 yards

7. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

The .22 Hornet is not a bad round for varmints but it has inherent problems. For the most part (not always but many) the design of the Hornet is not the most accurate bullet twist there is. Most barrel makers run the hornet in a 1:8 or a 1:10 twist but they have since shown that a 1:14 twist is a much more stable twist rate for the Hornet. I am hoping that someone will start to redesign their barrel twist and reissue it. If they do I will be all over it then.

8. B52-man

B52-man Elite Refuge Member

Thanks WP.

9. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I should have clarified my statement better. I was intending that to be for the .17 HMR only not for the (you are very correct) too slow moving .22 WMR rounds. They definetly bounce around a lot more then the .17's and several other slightly larger centerfire rounds.

10. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

it all depends on what you have at hand. if im going varmint hunting i usualy have a modified 10/2 for the little stuff up close, but rely mostly on my 17hmr and 22-250. any good hmr to 125 yds or so on yotes, otherwise i have a shoot a 222, 223, 243, and 6mm ppc as well and they all do the job as well