What caliber

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by RPDDOC, Jan 27, 2005.

1. RPDDOC

RPDDOC Senior Refuge Member

After doind several hours of ballistics research and reading a couple of different varmint forums, I think my gun of choice will be a CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Remington. I'm sure some will say this is to small a caliber. I do like a challenge though. Besides, it's got more energy than a 22 Win mag, 17 HMR and 22 Hornet and is still small enough to handle rabbits and squirrels.

I thank all for your advice.

2. xbt2

xbt2 Senior Refuge Member

I've read this post three times and still it makes no sense. The Hornet is just fine for varmints, and accuracy isn't any worse than most other calibers. Granted, it won't be winning any bench-rest competitions, but it's plenty capable of minute of varmint accuracy within reasonable ranges.

By a slim majority, most .22 hornets have a 1:16 twist rate. The 1:14 twist rate is a very close second, and may well surpass the 1:16 soon. Either one of these twist rates made in the last 50 years should have a .224 bore. The 1:16 twist rate is better suited to use 30 - 45 gr bullets and the 1:14 seems to perform better with 45 - 52 gr bullets. There is some overlap on which bullets work better with what twist rate and of course velocity has some effect also.

Most, if not all, of the big name gun manufactirers have at one time or another chambered one of their products for the hornet. Finding one can't be much of a problem. I know for a fact that Ruger offers it in the M77 and the 1B with a 1:14 twist. T /C, CZ, and H&R1871 (H&R, NEF /Marlin) also list one in their catalogs. I haven't looked, but I wouldn't be surprised if Browning / Winchester or Sako / Tikka offered one too.

3. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Browning does offer one in two different models and both their offerings are in a 1:16 twist. It looks like my data may be out of date as after I posted what I did I started looking around at the different manufacturers and saw that indeed most of them have changed their twist rates.

I know the Hornet I have is the older and slower twist rate.

4. 870Wing

870Wing Senior Refuge Member

I'll suggest the 22 Hornet as well. Effective on coyotes out to the 125 yard mark. The noise and recoil are both very low. I'd use the 45 grain soft points. The 22 Hornet can be had in inexpensive single shots like the NEF or wonderful little bolt actions like the CZ 527. Your choice, depending on your wallet.

Take care

870Wing

5. born2shoot

born2shoot Elite Refuge Member

maybe think about the new ruger .204

6. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

My vote is a .257 Roberts.. Fast and Flat!

7. jbdnew

jbdnew Senior Refuge Member

I would recommend a 223 for that situation, 223 ammo can be found easily. Second choice would be a 22 hornet. A NEF rifle is great choice as well, they are guns great for the money.

8. jdhill

jdhill Senior Refuge Member

I have an older savage 22 hornet, up to 100 yards it is a tack driver but anything much over that the cartridge starts to looses it's power fairly fast.

9. CutEmAll-Boyz

CutEmAll-Boyz Senior Refuge Member

22MAG V:tu

10. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

I wish you'd have said something sooner....

Check out the 22 Hornet Browning makes (made?) I could shoot 1' groups all day with that thing. I sold it recently because I had too darn many in the safe that seldom got shot.