what choke

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Drake91

Drake91 New Member

what choke do y'all prefer for all around waterfowl an shot sizes??... I shoot benelli guns... I've been shootin modified all the time decided to throw my improved cylinder in last night at a local club for skeet an trap... an I didn't notice it break in clays any different or less than I did with my modified... I shoot the new sbe 3 had extended mod an improved cylinder also have a kicks high flyer full (pretty much a modified)... but anyways my question is for u benelli guys how.many of u shoot improved cylinder alot for geese an ducks?... I never patterned my improved cylinder choke might today after work before opening day Saturday... but I mostly keep my shots at 40-45 yards an less... generally shoot Kent silversteel or hevimetal 3" 3's or 3 1/2" 2's & BB... you guys think I could get away with just an improved cylinder all the time???

2. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

I recently changed to a carlson cremator mid range and I have been shooting federal premium speed shok and their target ammo for clays. Patterns just fine and no need to waste my money on fancy pants ammo...even though some of it did pattern well

3. Drake91

Drake91 New Member

I agree with fancy ammo... I just have hevi metal cause of a 100 round deal I got an for $60 so I decided to try em usually shoot Kent's an even xperts

4. killerv

killerv Senior Refuge Member

briley light modified is what stays in my benellis all season.

Squaller likes this.
  5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Most good shooters of Waterfowl know IC or LM constriction is capable at the distances 95% of the birds are killed at !
    There's just as much of a DISadvantage using to open of a choke as there is with to tight of choke ! BUT , the good shooters have a greater percentage of
    kills inside 45 yds ! IMO ......At what distance are you normally shooting your birds ? Is your success up to par or are you wasting shells with to tight of
    Choke ? The proof of your success shooting could be , in the choke you use ! :l:yes

Drake91 likes this.
  6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

If you like to shoot big shoot, 1s and up, think it is still good practice to shoot an IC. Look at bang on the main page and his videos, he shoots a SK choke and does just fine.

7. Drake91

Drake91 New Member

well I shot modified pretty much all my life with good sucess... just one year I decided to try a long range Carlson IM I think it was an I was just wasting shells at birds but when I did hit em they were exploding... I'm fairly decent shot shoot skeet an trap every Tuesday at a local club go 23 out of 25 on average an done 25 for 25 quite a few times this month... I generally don't shoot past 45 yards at birds maybe 50 if I did on accident I was just wondering how many people shoot IC at those distances an don't have a lot of cripples... like I said in my previous post never tried patterning my IC I usually shoot 3" 3 & 2 shot with my goose loads being 3" 1's or 3 1/2" BB... I wanna take it to pattern this choke cause I feel benelli guns shoot better with their more open chokes with steel since their chokes are tighter than most guns out there

8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Briley LM extended is what I shoot mostly on big ducks and geese thru out the season. Nice even patterns to 40 yds . That's shooting black cloud 3" 1 1/4 oz. 3,s and 2,s. I,ve killed plenty past the 40 yd. mark with this combo. Best of all it doesn,t destroy birds centered at 25 or closer. Eary season which is basically all woodies where I hunt I,ll switch to Briley ext. I.Cyl. Still kill em to 40 or a little farther. Have used same in Skeet w/3" Bl CLD. 3,s. That's great for woodie and teal shooting. When I change to Fasteel or others without the flightstopper wad I,ll switch back to Extended Mod. To get a good anchor at 40 when shooting big ducks and geese. I shoot and m2 12 guage.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

IC isn't for 50 yard shots. Most people, including you (based on your trap/skeet experience) are hitting birds at 22-27 yards. 50 yards is double that.
    IC is fine at 30-35 yards. Again, where most people can hit birds. IF that is your average shot, that is probably what you should be using. If your average shot is 30-40 yards, move up to LtMod or Mod. Again, those are LONG shots in the real world.

IF you want 45-50 yard patterns, you need ImpMOD or Full.

This is why we have chokes. Life isn't always sugar cookies. Sometimes, it is chocolate chip, or Oreos. As mentioned, only YOU know what ranges you shoot at. I shoot I/C, LtMod in my O/U 20ga, because that fits my hunting style.

This was a good thread on patterns and chokes. Pics are gone, but the numbers are still there..
    http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/patterning-a-shotgun-concepts.903250/

Squaller likes this.
  10. Drake91

Drake91 New Member

I'll have to get me a briley light mod then... seems to be the sweet spot on benelli guns