what choke

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

FYI .........When a hunter calls into a choke Manufacture and ask for a LM Choke , you could get ALL kinds of constrictions ( some close but most , way off ) !
    Take the time to find out what your barrels inside diameter is , then order a .015 constriction as most GOOD choke manufactures will be able to offer a tube
    within a .001 or 2 to what you're asking for ! And , if they can't....move on to a more reputable company !

2. Drake91

Drake91 New Member

what choke company do u prefer that's the closest?

3. Ravenanme

I use any company that's willing to sale me what I want , if you're ordering a specific choke constriction .
    With the Craze of Steel Shot needing a more open constriction ( than Lead) we have manufactures forcing down our throats , with fancy marketing names,
    choke tubes we have no idea how to change chokes for the better . Knowing what the constriction difference is (to YOUR GUN ) , is the only way to end-up
    with what you need for your way of hunting ! That's why , some fellas have such good luck with stock Lead chokes ! :l:l:yes

The quality in most chokes is outstanding as long as it has one inch of parallel
    after the taper and the treads bottom out in your barrel , beware some don't !

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Shooting a beretta A300 Extrema with the HP barrel (same as the A400). I purchased two chokes from Trulock in 2015. A SKI and a SKII choke. Shot the SKII choke one day, and found the patterns way too tight for most birds I shoot at. Switched to the SKI choke, and it hasn't left my gun in 3 seasons. I shoot birds from 15 to 45 yds and I don't feel under or over choked , and the gun patterns well with everything from BB to #3 shot. Most people say it isn't enough for shooting at distance, but the evidence is pretty clear that it works. Here is my channel, and I've got 30+ videos on it with this gun and choke combo. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8hMNhL6GIiwxAWCpoBvIxQ/videos?view_as=subscriber. This one has over 50 snows/ canada geese/ mallards at distances of 15-40 yds on it, to give you an idea of how well the choke works. Most hunters are overchoked for the distances they shoot at. 99% of hunters shouldn't even be shooting at 40 yds, as they can't center the target to get clean kills at the distance (roster tests from a few years ago).

ronaldo likes this.
  5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Both my 12/20 gauge Benelli Supernova and Nova pumps use factory& Carlson IC and 3" #3 shot on decoying 40 yards or less ducks, don't shoot farther than that.

6. Ravenanme

There's a lot to what "Bang you'r dead" is saying , within decoy range Plus a little , a Skeet Choke ( inside .005 ) is all you need shooting 3's and larger
    steel shot . Bird size should dictate shot size so if you're shooting a 1 1/4 oz load at Sprig , Gaddy's or Mallards #3's will do you a good job and if you're
    after Snow's or Spec's #1's , B's or BB's will do just fine . Remembering pattern density at the distance you shoot your birds and a Skeet choke with 90
    BB's will pattern out to 45 yds in most makes of chokes , maybe !

7. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

Thats some very efficient use of shot shells, Bang! Don't think I'd ever have to worry about out shooting you. Always enjoy your videos. Thanks