what choke

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

FYI .........When a hunter calls into a choke Manufacture and ask for a LM Choke , you could get ALL kinds of constrictions ( some close but most , way off ) !
    Take the time to find out what your barrels inside diameter is , then order a .015 constriction as most GOOD choke manufactures will be able to offer a tube
    within a .001 or 2 to what you're asking for ! And , if they can't....move on to a more reputable company !

2. Drake91

Drake91 New Member

what choke company do u prefer that's the closest?

3. Ravenanme

I use any company that's willing to sale me what I want , if you're ordering a specific choke constriction .
    With the Craze of Steel Shot needing a more open constriction ( than Lead) we have manufactures forcing down our throats , with fancy marketing names,
    choke tubes we have no idea how to change chokes for the better . Knowing what the constriction difference is (to YOUR GUN ) , is the only way to end-up
    with what you need for your way of hunting ! That's why , some fellas have such good luck with stock Lead chokes ! :l:l:yes

The quality in most chokes is outstanding as long as it has one inch of parallel
    after the taper and the treads bottom out in your barrel , beware some don't !

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Ringbill likes this.
  4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Shooting a beretta A300 Extrema with the HP barrel (same as the A400). I purchased two chokes from Trulock in 2015. A SKI and a SKII choke. Shot the SKII choke one day, and found the patterns way too tight for most birds I shoot at. Switched to the SKI choke, and it hasn't left my gun in 3 seasons. I shoot birds from 15 to 45 yds and I don't feel under or over choked , and the gun patterns well with everything from BB to #3 shot. Most people say it isn't enough for shooting at distance, but the evidence is pretty clear that it works. Here is my channel, and I've got 30+ videos on it with this gun and choke combo. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8hMNhL6GIiwxAWCpoBvIxQ/videos?view_as=subscriber. This one has over 50 snows/ canada geese/ mallards at distances of 15-40 yds on it, to give you an idea of how well the choke works. Most hunters are overchoked for the distances they shoot at. 99% of hunters shouldn't even be shooting at 40 yds, as they can't center the target to get clean kills at the distance (roster tests from a few years ago).

ronaldo likes this.
  5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Both my 12/20 gauge Benelli Supernova and Nova pumps use factory& Carlson IC and 3" #3 shot on decoying 40 yards or less ducks, don't shoot farther than that.

6. Ravenanme

There's a lot to what "Bang you'r dead" is saying , within decoy range Plus a little , a Skeet Choke ( inside .005 ) is all you need shooting 3's and larger
    steel shot . Bird size should dictate shot size so if you're shooting a 1 1/4 oz load at Sprig , Gaddy's or Mallards #3's will do you a good job and if you're
    after Snow's or Spec's #1's , B's or BB's will do just fine . Remembering pattern density at the distance you shoot your birds and a Skeet choke with 90
    BB's will pattern out to 45 yds in most makes of chokes , maybe !

7. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

Thats some very efficient use of shot shells, Bang! Don't think I'd ever have to worry about out shooting you. Always enjoy your videos. Thanks

8. bluebill77

bluebill77 Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a Benelli M1 with a Carlson Extended I/C choke. I have used this combination pretty much exclusively for probably the last 6 or 7 years....maybe more, time goes by so fast! My shots are over decoys at a max of 35 yards, usually less. I shoot #4 Remington or Kent and have killed everything from Buffleheads and Green Wing Teal to Canvasbacks, Mallards & geese with this combination. It's been a lethal combination for me.

bb77

9. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'm shooting TERROR chokes in all my duck & goose guns. They've showed me on the pattern board that they are not only much better than factory chokes, but better than many other aftermarket chokes I've tried as well. I like a modified, I believe it's a .675. Best thing is to Take your gun, loads & several chokes to the pattern board. Spend the time patterning at the distance window that you generally shoot your birds. The results not only show you what does what, built it can help build your confidence in your setup.

Ringbill

10. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Bang, watched that snow goose video, outstanding!
    What size shot and payload are you using for snow geese? (What shell if it's commercial). And I understand that was all SK1... I took my SK1 chokes out of my Cynergy and replaced with IC and LM for duck season, maybe I need to put the SK1 back in there and give it a try. Need to pattern that and see!