what choke

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Oct 4, 2017.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I seem to get a nice inner core pattern on my SK1 with nearly everything I feed it, from #3 to BB. I don't rely on 2 dimensional patterning, as i don't think it is a true reflection of the shotshell pattern, which is actually a four dimensional space-time pattern, which you have to place around the bird/target . In terms of shells, who knows what I am feeding it. Honestly, most of the kills are within 30 yds, so it really doesn't matter that much. I shoot a lot of Xpert 2.75 and 3" in BB for big geese, but my favorite is the Challenger 2.75 or 3" 1 1/8 #1(CDN brand) load for snow geese. I find you get a decent pattern density with the #1 and good penetration at longer ranges . I also use the SCORE (local MB company) shotshells last couple of years without any complaints.
    Overall, nothing special, just a wide open choke and some cheap as dirt shotshells.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Bang , with your SKI choke and steel shot sizes larger than 3's , do you find the patterns not as forgiving when birds come into the decoys in a tight
    bunch and that makes it hard not to have secondary wounded birds ? Even at 30 yds patterns can be unknowingly huge or Long !

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Remember, that choking is based on the constriction of the choke, as compared to the diameter of your bore.

For most of my day-in, and day-out hunting I prefer a light modified which should be about .015 constriction as compared to the bore. My second choice is IC, and third is modified. When shooting an O/U, my standard is IC/Mod.

Honestly, I do not think there is much of a difference between most of the good choke manufactures. I call them, tell them what bore I am shooting with and tell them what I want.

With my current waterfowling stick, I use AnglePort chokes which were bore-matched to my gun... They had an absurd sale after I purchased the gun (5 bore-matched chokes for $120) and I took advantage of it. It took them three tries to get the chokes correct as to what they promised. The chokes shoot quite well, and I am quite pleased with the finished product.

I have had numerous mistakes from just about every after-market choke I have purchased. Most shooters do not check the bores or the chokes of their gun to see (and know) what they are getting. I have sent numerous Briley chokes back as well as AnglePort and Trulock...

The last Beretta I purchased, two of the factory chokes were way off the mark, and obviously mis-stamped. I made them switch chokes before purchasing.

I have found that when ordering a choke, I point out that I will be taking measurements, and this does seem to reduce their error rate (as I think they are more inclined to double-check if they know the consumer is going to check).

4. Ravenanme

:clap:clap:clap.......What a difference a few thousands makes , like Mark says !

5. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

What tool do you use Marc?

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have a very specific means of checking. I go over to my Father's house, and use his bore gauge... Not sure which one he has, but I remember looking into getting one, and after seeing the price, I was satisfied to continue using his...

ronaldo likes this.
  7. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

Choke selection in my experience comes down to 4 things. Speed of the shot, Size of the shot, Bore diameter, Choke constriction. In my Benellis(.723 bore) the LM was the ticket, in my Maxus(.742 bore) IM was my go too.

Larger shot patterns tighter. Fast speeds pattern more open. I have found Speed Shoks to pattern better than any shell out there. Too bad they burn so damn dirty.

Good luck with your endeavor.

8. Ravenanme

We can see you have spent time on the patterning board to find out what chokes shoot best for your guns / load !
    I have found , for my guns ( some fixed choked as well as screw choked ones ) they ALL are different but the IC (.010) to LM (.015) are pretty close ,
    no matter the shot size in Steel . I use Shot size in determining the distance , I'll be shooting , in regards to their ability to penetrate . It's fun to see
    on the patterning board , the ability to each loads pattern density , that really tells you what your odds are at the estimated distance , you're shooting .

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

About 90% of my shooting is with a SK1 or IC choke. If it's going to be very windy, I put a Terror in an 870. I normally shoot Expert 2-3/4" #4s. If I know I'm only going to shoot geese, I'll shoot BB or #1, but I've killed several truckloads of geese with the #4s.

10. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

What Alldrakes said. With the Benelli tight bore, LM also called Skeet2. IM in the overbore. That's been my experience as a general rule pattern testing. I never take the LM out with my Benelli. It's good for the smaller shot over decoys and patterns tight with the bigger shot for geese.

Barrels and loads can be fickle. I've never been impressed with Kent by the way for my guns and don't shoot it since you mentioned that's what you shoot.

I should mention most of my shooting is in the wide open and can be windy. If I was shooting ducks in a timber hole or other location that is in your face, SK or IC would be okay.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017