What do y'all "marinate" your geese, ducks and venison in?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Bear, Nov 12, 2014.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Some Worcestershire sauce and coarse ground pepper for both ducks and deer.

2. Cripplecreek

Cripplecreek Senior Refuge Member

Backstrap: slice thin, marinate in bottle of Worcestershire, small bottle of Italian dressing & a pack of that dry onion soup. I generally do it all day or up to 24 hours. Throw it on the grill. Don't let it get dry looking.

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yep...that's been my go to for ducks and geese with a little A-1 for sweetness and my families penchant for garlic. Worcestershire sauce (Winchester) I've kind of lost a taste for as it just seems somewhat bitter now to me. I've been on a soy sauce kick for a while but don't know how it would rock with ducks and geese.

While I don't hunt anymore because of my legs I still score some fowl and venison on occasion.

I'm going to find a lamb source again...woof!

My girls can't hang with anything warmer than pepper and little of that. Habaneros or chipotles would get me welted by one and couched by the other. :z Apparently...their Texas Czech tastes run on the sweet and garlic side. I think they put garlic on chocolate ice cream. :cool:

4. BLKHEAD

BLKHEAD Elite Refuge Member

Zesting italian salad dressing for my base and i work with it from there. You can add whatever you want to flavor it from there but doesnt take much.

5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I also had learned to hate vinegar working in the Mexican food business. We were required to "taste" the line several times a night and a vinegar taste or smell was not a good sign. My Wife uses it on everything as a weight loss flavor enhancer, and again growing up, for her, vinegar was used for everything. I just threw an empty gallon away and popped the top on another one to clean off some calcium scum our dishwasher seems to be leaving on the black dishes my Wife likes to use for salads.

Strange as it sounds...a little diluted vinegar in a 10 oz glass helps settle our stomachs every once and awhile.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  6. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like good eats. This one may get a try with lamb after Thanksgiving. Lamb becomes more available around our neighborhood towards the end of November.

7. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Ducks: olive oil, crushed garlic, pepper, orange zest, maple syrup (can sub brown sugar), and a little soy sauce.

Deer: Treat like lamb... Salt, pepper, lots of rosemary and garlic, and a little olive oil.

Pheasant/Quail/Dove: Olive oil, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, rosemary, and a little Pickapeppa sauce.

When in a hurry, Lawry's Herb and Garlic marinade is good on all of the above, and their Caribbean Jerk is great on duck.

8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yep...lamb and venison...eat the same stuff...walk the same terrain...make the same baa! Daddy's wear similar headgear and fight the same way. Both make a heck of a stew. :tu

End of November might get here a little quicker than three weeks from now.

9. BLKHEAD

BLKHEAD Elite Refuge Member

Actually, deer have antlers and sheep have horns. deer lock antlers and attempt to pin the other to the ground to assert dominance while sheep head bang until one of them is not able to walk.... I could go on. i will end with comparing lamb to deer meat is like compareing oral sex with dentures or without, they just dont compare....:no

10. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

To be honest I dont marinate wild game in anything before its cooked. Well other than some injectable marinade in wild turkey to keep it from being so dry. I feel marinade is used to cover up the flavor of the meat and most of the "bad" taste from game can be solved by not cooking it to long.