Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

What do you think of Minn Kota Talons...

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by no harm-no fowl, Mar 15, 2018.

1. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

Thinking about putting a 12 footer on the bow of my 17.5 ft. Ocean Duckwater duck boat. It should help with putting out decoys, and pick up. Anchoring the boat in the blind location.
    It would be a lot easier to put out the robo, just spike the boat, put out the robo without having to worry about floating out of the spot. Lots of uses, seen a guide that had one on the bow of his boat. I'm sure it makes his guiding job a lot easier, not having to have a client trow out the anchor in the bow, knowing that the boat will stay put when you do spike it.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Hey, if you have the $1800 to spend on an anchor, I think it would be a great idea.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Just buy a “stik it” pole for around $60 bucks and be done. They are quick to stick, stow out of the way, can be used as a push pole, and you can lasso decoys with them.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I would ask bass guys how those things do in chop and wind before going for it. There is a reason you see two on most bass boats.

As for the mojos, get a set up where you can float them. Much better way than trying to set poles from the boat.

5. no harm-no fowl

I'm pretty sure the reason they put 2 on the back of a bass boat is because they aren't centered and the boat would spin around in the wind. Regular anchors don't hold instantly as I'm sure you know, or at least you should know. On a bass boat there's no where to mount one on the bow. There is such an area on my Duckwater boat to mount one, and with it being centered on the hull I would only need one. I guess I'll call the company and talk to an engineer about it. I do use a floating robo platform, but it always seems to be the best duck hunting when the wind is blowing like he'll. Every time I nose in to place it at the edge of the decoys, the bow wants to swing out of the wind right away.

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Yeah my point was that you're going to swing with just one if the wind and current are cranking and that may not help you. I think you'd still have some swing if the attachment point is in the bow. Have you looked at the micro stick anchors, which may meet your needs at much less cost?

I just go up wind of my decoys and drift through, pull in what I can, repeat.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Nhnf, are you not familiar with a fiberglass stick pole that you manually use? I think you can simply solve your issues for next to nothing.

Besides the stick pole(s), the only other thing you’ll need are two short sections of rope, one for the bow and one for the stern. Take each rope and make a small knot loop at one end while leaving about a foot for the tag end (you’ll end up sticking the pole thru either of these loops). Now cleat one rope to the bow and the other to one of the corners on the stern. Depending on the wind and your approach to your spread, you can stop and quickly pin either end of the boat to either pick up or deploy decoys. One other thing. You can control the bow of your boat in strong winds much easier if you’ll point the stern into it while in reverse. Now, one must use “common sense” not to do this if you also have a large falling sea but wind chop shouldn’t be an issue for most large boats. That would be anther way to “set” your mojo without the bow spinning around since it appears you deploy decoys by yourself.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    coachcornbread likes this.
  8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

One Power Pole or Talon is going to spin, period. That's why most bass boats have two, and they're fantastic. I've often thought they'd be ideal for a duck boat because in a matter of 2-3 seconds you can lock the boat into position in most conditions. I've heard great things about either brand; while they're quite different the end result is the same and both seem to be pretty trouble free. About the only bad thing about them is the price.

9. no harm-no fowl

So, when you throw your anchor off the bow of you boat and it catches & hold you in place, your boat spins? Cause mine just sits there in the water facing into the wind. hummm...... It may swing a little to the left or right, but there is no spinning.

I have never seen a manual pole that attaches securely enough to not bend out when the pole is engaged in the ground. Then the pole loses its holding capability.

I do use reverse to put out decoys, and it works pretty good. I find it hard to drive the boat and put out decoys at the same time sometimes.

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Where did I say anything about throwing an anchor or what happens when you do? :confused: I said one power pole will spin, and it will unless there's a pretty stout and steady wind. Have you ever been in a boat with power poles? Yeah you can do the same thing with a spud pole/marsh anchor or throwing an anchor, but if you're wanting easier and more convenient it doesn't get much better than power poles. You literally just press a button wherever you want to stop and within a few seconds you're locked down.