What do you think of Minn Kota Talons...

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by no harm-no fowl, Mar 15, 2018.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

The reason for two on a bass boat is they are mounted beside the outboard on the stern, and a bass boat needs to hold position no matter the wind, current or tide. If a duck hunter could say he would always position his boat directly into the wind, current and/or tide, he could mount one in the middle of the bow and it would hold pretty steady. I can't come up with a scenario where that's always possible, but maybe it exists in some open lake environments.

As to the OP, the bass pros I know say good things about both companies products. Maybe you could get away with a Talon on front and spud pole on transom.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Right. Even with 1 on the bow though it will spin more than with an anchor 30ft in front of you, especially in lighter winds. It's a expensive solution, but there's a reason you see two on most bass boats.

How heavy is your boat? They make micro versions that are rated up to around 1500lbs and they're well under $1k.

bill cooksey likes this.
  3. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

My buddy is planning on putting two on his duck boat. One on the bow and one on the stern.

I really wish I had the cash laying around to add at least one to my duck/fishing rig, I know it would be an awesome tool.

4. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

We use a pair of spud poles as well. Have one for the bow and stern. They are the cats meow. My buddy machined a couple of brackets out of delrin that they slide thru.

One drawback that I could see with power poles is that they could get in the way of things like throwing out decoys and such. We use a lot of longlines so I imagine it would be cumbersome with a 4-6 ft pole in the way.

5. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

Putting a talon on the bow of a boat would be no different than putting out the front anchor.....no spin, no movement. (giving that your bow was into the wind when it was deployed.)

My boat weighs 3500 lbs. Fully loaded, maybe 4500 lbs. I am planning to mount the Talon on the apex of the bow, where it wouldn't be in the way of anything.

My question and concern is, how will it hold in 1 to 2 foot waves. I have a 17.5 foot Duckwater ocean boat. Welded .250 aluminum hull, w/ a 115 etec & a 9.9 Suzuki kicker. Unlike a fiberglass bass boat, there is a solid location on the bow to mount a talon. I thought there might be someone on here that has one and would let me know how well it worked. I know how much they cost, I figured that out when I first started to look at them. I've been hunting ducks 42 years. I've hunted in 9 different states, all DIY hunts, so this ain't my first rodeo. I can afford to buy something that makes it easier to do. I just need to know if the unit will hold up and work as advertised.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Well then just buck up and buy one and let us know how it works.

I still stand by my recommendation of having two. In your situation a regular one on the bow and a micro on the stern should work great. But hey, what do I know, you're the expert.

coachcornbread likes this.
  7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Would a remote controlled anchor meet your needs better. I just do not see any pole type anchor holding in 2 footers.

[​IMG]

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

A Terrova or similar with spot lock would work too. Especially if you had at least a micro on the stern.

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Two pages over you hate autonomous cars but you think an autonomous boat in a decoy spread is a good idea?:nutz:no

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Ha, the boat ain't driving me!