What ecallers work the best on which critters?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Half-Breed, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

I have tried the Xtreme dimension and johnny stewert and Fox Pro.

I like the fox pro the best by far.

Xtreme D. seemed too artificial sounding and the J.S. was too hard to keep working.

the Fox Pro is the size of a 6 volt flashling and is a lot louder than the Extreme d.

I also use a mini blaster from Gary Roberson at Burnam bros.

2. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

I have an old Johnny Stewart call, only problem is real cold weather seems to eat the charge from the battery, I like the the looks & size of the Fox Pro. As for sounds, I use Grey Fox Pups & Coyote Pups in distress. I think every varmint has heard the dying rabbit call too many times, the pup calls seem to trigger 'em.

3. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I like the good old fashioned CD player and loud speaker setup. However I am also a HUGE fan of the Cass Creek game calls in the Predator version. It is a 5 sound unit which contains Jack Rabbit, Cottontail Rabbit, sounds Yote Howl, Pup Yips, and Fawn Distress. I have had excellent results with this unit plus the fact it is only $20 which makes it awesome on your budget.

Not an ecaller but I also have great luck with an old Lohman mouth call.

What my hunting partners and I do is we will run a regular distress call on the CD and loudspeaker setup and use the handheld Cass Creek call to throw in howls and yips when we want to mix it up and make other coyotes thinking their free meal is about the be eaten.

4. busman

busman Senior Refuge Member

I have been looking at a new fox pro, where would the best place be to purchase one.

5. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

I got mine at Cabelas of course.

I looked the other day and they dont have the model I have. Mine was $165 I think, the new one is over $300 but more options and a remote!

6. applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe Refuge Member

I like the PHANTOM HUNTER SERIES PREDATOR CALL. It comes with the digital call, 15 watt speaker and 60' of wire. Includes coyote howls and coyote pups; jackrabbit and cottontail distress; feline, bird and fawn distress; rodent squeaks and crows; and thrashing leaves and ground hops. Very realistic sounds. I sometimes use my SCEERY and CIRCE hand calls in conjunction with it.

7. pyle762

pyle762 Elite Refuge Member

I have the ol' stand-by, my Johnny Stewart tape player. I have called and killed more critters with that than I can remember. As for sounds, my favorite is the fox pup-in-distress. Then I like some of the other unusual sounds like the kittens, or coyote pup-in-distress. I agree that coyotes have heard the rabbit squeals way too much.

8. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I have a JS model 512 with remote, and 2 other tape players. I have about 85 tapes. I have around 3doz. different hand calls, and I think 16 different howlers. I have been successfully using howlers since the early 80's. I have been lucky enough to meet Murray Burnham, and had spoke with Bill Austin on several occasions. Calls have taken giant leaps, like all the rest of the different types of game calling, in the past 15 yrs. or so. But for all the gadgets, it still boils down to one man, putting in his time on the stand, using a call that he has great faith in, and the feel of a good rifle in his hands at daybreak.

9. nalley1952

nalley1952 Elite Refuge Member

I built mine using an mp3 player and wireless speaker. I can set the speaker out to about 100 yds and operate it from my stand. Works great becasue they are not looking at you.