What happened to my game face

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by bigcans, Oct 18, 2017.

1. bigcans

bigcans Refuge Member

I'm praying...at 60, I'm really wanting to see if my stamina, desire & motivation can still be there. Didn't hunt the opener on acct. No water but here in NW wa, we are now really getting pounded. Might total 7" by sat. If the rain pans out. Today a south wind at 30 was blowing most of the day. Rain coming down sideways...so I headed out. Put 7 honker field dekes out and 2 greenhead sleepers in the corn. At the least I wasn't too comfortable when looking at the pup. She was resting her head on the bench seat just thinking of...what in the world are we doing in this mess.

Like an idiot as the rain was pouring down I didn't even want to take my gun out of the case thinking it's early not many ducks flying...and in 15 min. I sealed my fate. I saw A pair if mallards coming in low and I scrambled to get my stoeger m3500 in camo out of it's case. Too late ....they flew right over me and out. I could have had 2 ducks for my lab on one heck of a blustery afternoon around 2:45. Instead nothing. I was so disgusted at myself. Stood out for another 30, and packed it in. Like going up to the plate without a bat.

Can use your prayers for motivation. Been hunting all my life. 19 Mounts blah blah. Will be a long season ahead. It's work packing it 300 to 900 yds. My private club hunting of 37 yrs is gone. Where decoys are already set. But it's great exercise for me. Im only taking out what I can handle. Today I just brought 7 honker shells & stakes, bag , 2 mallards, wind duck heron confidence deke.

Pain is fuel, appreciate your prayers

2. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

3. dukbill

dukbill Refuge Member

Bigcans...I'll be prayin', too.

Also plan on prayin' this weather keeps up all winter, too! :clap I'm going out Sat. for the first time in a couple years. Cabelas will be gettin' some of my $$ tomorrow as I have to pick up dekes again.

Hang in there, Bud...

4. bigcans

bigcans Refuge Member

hey, sorry been a while....thanks & appreciate the prayers. Pain is fuel. I gotta stop a few times to and from the blind. with my mag hauler packed up. pkg. lots were full at 4:30 unbelievable. went back to sleep went out at 9:40 got set up and I felt the birds would be a few flocks here and there later in the afternoon and they did show up. should have had 3. lost 2 to the field behind me. crossed the ditch and came up short. My dog isn't the best and I don't think she saw one of the birds fall. she should have but it was too bad. a lot of work and i'm wondering if it's worth it anymore. i'm not gonna sweat it. if I feel like hunting i'll go. if not, i'm not gonna beat myself up. I don't want to let the dog down either. sure wish we could take 4 wheelers to the blinds but it's public so we can't. gonna get myself in shape again like last year if I don't die of a heart attack.

i'll be alright, but disgusted of losing 2 mallards today. damn disgusted.

5. dukbill

dukbill Refuge Member

Feel your pain.

Me and my hunting buddy are in some great...but terrible...thigh-deep water surrounded by 3 foot high marsh grass. We hit a couple, that dropped 50 yards away, watched where they landed, then could NOT find them. No dog...just us. Sucked. We know the 'yotes and hawk had something easy for dining at least.

Hang in there and remember...this is supposed to be fun and relaxing!

6. bigcans

bigcans Refuge Member

man that's tough hunting. Real tough hunting. someone always has it rougher. I need to get 20" wheels for the cart. I'll feel better when my breathables arrive ups on Monday and my pull stringer wind duck. And....my baccarat cigars. Got 2 Carlson choke tubes coming Monday too. mid and long range. I'm ready and will hunt all week with this wind n rain we have coming. I'm thankful I have legs to walk and my dog for company. I went out on Friday mostly cloudy around 1. just felt like sittin and to get my lab out of the house. she lays down so quiet in her shadowgrass vest. Hope I can have at least 10 ducks in my freezer by sat end of the week next week.

7. dukbill

dukbill Refuge Member

Sounds like an awesome plan!