Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

What has changed in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Goosemaster, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Goosemaster

Goosemaster Elite Refuge Member

I'm moving back to the midwest this coming summer after being away for nearly 10 years. I used to chase the snows in the dakotas in the spring. My spread then consisted of approximately 1500 sillosocks and deadlys with 200 Avery fullbodies. I had the obvious ecaller and one rotary with other sillosock flyers in the mix. My question for the veterans out there is what has changed the last decade if anything that you have observed. Thanks and hope to see you guys out there in hopefully spring of 2019!

2. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Aside from social media and lack of ethics turning some people into greedy arrogant a-holes that will do anything to get that pile picture?

Way more pressure on juvy feeds in SD.
    Everybody is a guide/outfitter in SD now. (seriously there's at least 60 "businesses" that advertise guided hunts in SD)
    Farmers are saying no a lot more often.

On the positive side, the birds still follow the same flyways, often stage in the same general areas, and you'll still shoot some birds.

3. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Pressure. North to South, South to North. It' just not as easy. Birds are educated. Especially tough on Northern tier states in the Spring. Just look at all the outfotters that flock to Arkansas now.

Good luck and welcome back

4. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

In the last 10 years???? Well,,, what has changed for us is the volume and quality of our spread along with the addition of more gadgets has meant we now need 3 trailers to hold everything...and they ain't small trailers either!!!!!!

Long Shot and KID CREOLE like this.
  5. bad dog

bad dog Senior Refuge Member

iam 10 years older,and don't express my love for them as aggresivly as I did then.bad dog

6. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

A lot of adult birds are 10 years smarter. Sure, over the last decade there have been improvements in decoys and gear; as well as improvements for ammo, e-caller sound-tracks, etc. Biggest change you will see are the numbers of hunters trying to outsmart them.

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

8. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

No clue how it is up there, but for us down here, hunters are ok with going on a guided trip to shoot their 2 specs and maybe a chance at a snow. They are ok with pass shooting teal and not letting birds work.

explorer17 likes this.
  9. Goosemaster

Goosemaster Elite Refuge Member

Almost sounds like the same old circus. I'm surprised that more farmers are turning down permission. Not once in all my years was i turned away in the dakotas, that's what I loved about the area out there, farmers even invited me in for dinner at times. Thanks for the replies, makes me second guess if I want to invest the time and money into it again. Anyone have experience recently in Canada in the spring or are have they not slowed down the past few years?

10. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Had a farmer drop f bombs on me last year just for asking to hunt his field. Went 0 for the first 4 on permission. Every story has been the same- they no longer let guys hunt because of what some dumazz hunters have done in the past.