What I have learned about moist soil the last four years

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Greekangler, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

IMG_2362.JPG IMG_2363.JPG IMG_2365.JPG IMG_2364.JPG Beats the hell out of planting Japanese millet
    Every year is different- if can't flood or don't want to irrigate often- plan around rain
    2.4 D is your best friend glyphosate early to create temporary dead zones
    It's all about moisture. Always spray a day to three days before rain for best results of release
    Start spraying early growth season of possible continue throughout summer no broadleaves are good
    Disc old stuff lightly from previous year early to stimulate growth
    Supplement some BYG on mud flats- if you have them

Clayton likes this.
  2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Yep, we've all learned a lot through experience and forums such as this. I was curious, however, about you saying there are no good broadleaves. Do you not like PA smartweed in your moist soil? I like it a lot but I might prefer a thick stand of barnyard grass. Combo is even better.

3. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

You pretty much knailed it, though there are a few good broadleafs. I see very little smartweed other than water pepper. Bidens aka Spanish needles are a good food but a real pain in the butt to hunt in. I don't have the luxury to time my sprayings with the rain. Just have to hope for the best.

4. Greekangler

Yea, spoke too quickly- do have about 5% Pennsylvania SW- which is a first here. Hopefully it gets going now. I was concerned about spraying the water pepper down- but had BYG and other grasses release were I sprayed. I left about 20-25% because I didn't trust what I was doing. I will be more aggressive spraying it next year.

The rain has been key this year mid and late growing season- which is odd in TX. If I had the same rain as last year- would have had to spent countless hours irrigating to get same release. Lucky I guess

I have typically just hunted area with no BYG and mainly water pepper (which the ducks don't prefer but will use) and planted Jap and browntop in drier areas. I wanted BYG since it volunteers with equal density of seeds vs Jap.

5. Greekangler

Clayton, will PSW grow like BYG if introduced during growing season with little prep? I avoided spraying it on purpose- have 4-5 bunches of it that are fairly robust. Seems like it prefers wetter soil like pepper. Also have some foxtail coming up- later release. Is it as good is some other grasses for seed- seems pretty small. Spragletop also showing up and panic grass from last spraying.

6. kgingerich

kgingerich New Member

5 years ago we bought 320 acres of mostly WRP along the Mississippi. I've learned the following:
    - Spikerush is a plague which I have yet figured out how to control completely.
    - Managing the water level and drawing down at the right time is key.
    - If you enjoy shooting "other ducks" then corn is not king. Moist soil grasses!
    - If you fertilize jap millet and get a lot of rain it'll grow to 6+ feet and ducks will largely ignore it. Mow it mid growth to shorten it.
    - Water primrose loves standing water... go figure?
    - Tractors/implements are expensive and a 40HP tractor is too small.