What if your girlfriend hates hunting? Is it over?

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by HuntingwithJim, May 16, 2008.

1. HuntingwithJim

HuntingwithJim New Member

Ok Ladies,

I need your help on this one. I've just gotten myself addicted to hunting, which is a bit of a surprise for myself as well as my girlfriend...but that's neither here nor their....what's bothering me is that she hats hunting and I don't think that she supports me doing it.

So my question to you is, is there any hope? Am I gonna have to choose between her or the hunt? And is there any good ways to get her into it gradually? (would love it if she would be opened to trying). How did you all get into it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

** quick footnote. She's not opposed to hunting on any moral/ethical grounds...she's not Peta or anything...just doesn't like it.

thanks,

Get yo' hunt on.

2. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

Yes, you are screwed. You will have to choose between her or hunting. I would cut and run now. It only gets worse. Seen it happen a million times. Especially once you get married, boy then it really gets bad.

3. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Bad situation indeed...

If she's not a rational type gal, I guess you have to weigh options. Which is more important?

:)

4. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

Is your girlfriend against hunting or is she against the attention you give to hunting? There a two major fundamental differences between these situations. If she simply doesn't like the early mornings, muddy boots, guns, dogs, and decoys there's hope. You can take the responsibility to minimize the mess and hours devoted to hunting in the house. I don't know you or your girlfriend from Adam's housecat, but I do know that taking my girlfriend out on an official date helps when I'm about to bury myself in waterfowling.

I'm assuming you're a level-headed guy with hobbies and interests that don't consume every waking minute of your life. If she's against the attention you give to hunting you have a problem. It doesn't matter if you're hunting, basket weaving, or working too much. She's going to have a problem with it. That makes the issue her problem, not yours. That kind of jealousy isn't healthy at all. I would cut and run if I were dealing with this kind of person.

5. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

You may have just what you want. You may be able to hunt without her! In the long run that's the best arrangement. If you don't think she will tolerate your hunting without her, then get out of the relationship or at least recognize that it's not going to last. Be up front with her. Let her know you expect to spend a lot of days in the field and that you do not expect her to tag along.

6. mallardSX2

mallardSX2 Elite Refuge Member

Have a little fun for a week, then abandon ship.... Youll fight her the whole way until you break up with her or you quit hunting.

7. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Senior Refuge Member

Three letters HCF = Hunting Comes First! I had a couple of girlfriends that didn't like the fact I was into hunting both for moral/ethics as well as me devoting as much time as I was into the sport. You know what? there are many more fish in the sea where they come from. The ideal situation I am looking for is someone who can come out and hunt with me! Best of luck in whatever you decide! :clap

8. buckwrapperjr

buckwrapperjr Elite Refuge Member

If she cant be happy for you knowing you found a hobby that you love , I would cut bait and run. Plus let her know there are far worst things you could be doing with your free time :dv :dv .

9. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

I agree with Blacklab227. When I first met my wife back in the mid 1960's, she would hunt and shoot skeet with me all the time. Then we got married, and that all came to an abrupt halt. She just didn't like that sort of thing. Fortunately my wife allows me a lot of freedom, as I do her. We have totally different hobbies, but still have things we share together. Yes, I hunt too much, and in the past we had our share of arguements over my being gone, but fortunately all that got ironed out and now we each have our own space.

If your better half cannot accept the fact that you are going to hunt (regularly), then I suggest that you will never really find happiness with her. It is something you really need to sit down and discuss, and then both of you make a decision of whether you are really meant for each other.

10. SpongeRob

SpongeRob Elite Refuge Member

was the women's forum ??????

I logged on to see what the ladies are saying and all I see is posts from guys (including this one now). What up with that??

Excluding you Kimmie.

Rob