What if your girlfriend hates hunting? Is it over?

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by HuntingwithJim, May 16, 2008.

1. Padilla Bay Goldens

Padilla Bay Goldens Senior Refuge Member

Dump her fast, Look for a chick with a boat & truck with a DU sticker in the window.

Good Luck
    Mrs. PBG

2. NorthIDduhker

NorthIDduhker Senior Refuge Member

QUOTE=Padilla Bay Goldens]Dump her fast, Look for a chick with a boat & truck with a DU sticker in the window.

Good Luck
    Mrs. PBG[/QUOTE]

What he said!!!:tu :dv

3. cowgirlnca

cowgirlnca Senior Refuge Member

I have so many guy friends that have girlfriends that did just what LD's wife did, started out great, got married and it all came to a halt. Think about that for a while. Then make the decision.

4. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

As mentioned above, most women who oppose hunting do it on one of two grounds ....... an ethical objection to the killing of animals ....... or, they hate to see you in an activity which you seem to love more than you love them.

The first objection you can try to deal with if she is a meat eater and rational, provided you eat the animals you shoot. If she is a vegetarian, you're out of luck ..... don't waste your time.

The second objection you can deal with if she can accept that it's better that you do this than spend your money and time hitting the bars and cheating on her ..... it's a harmless stress reliever for you .... just as she will have some of her own. If you can make it a point of regularly allotting a specific amount of time where she is the exclusive focus of your attention, she may be able to deal with it better.

If she is simply extremely possessive of you, then there is probably little you can do to satisfy her. Dump her and move on to a relationship with an emotionally less needy woman.

5. Blueyed-goof

Blueyed-goof Senior Refuge Member

I'm not poking fun, but what if I get myself a boyfriend who has the same view point as your girlfriend? I might not like it, but I'd dump him quick, because if he's going to get in the way of my 'happiness' then he doesn't really want ME as I am. Perhaps I'm being selfish in saying this, but you have to make you happy, and if what makes you happy is to hunt then great. Then find a person who is willing to be around you, with you doing whatever it is that makes you happy, and you the same for them and yet you find some happy medium where you both enjoy each other. I don't know if the red wine is kicking in and if that makes anysense at all to anyone but me, but it seems to me that life will be a bit simpler that way. It's already complicated enough sometimes...why compound it?

6. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

I'll agree with that 100%

7. fowlweathersuzie

fowlweathersuzie Senior Refuge Member

in my opinion...did you have this obsession with hunting when you started dating or did you date and then become obsessed with hunting? When my husband and i got married i knew that he was a duck hunter, but he never went while we were dating and really didn't get back into it until about a year after we were married...So absolutely it was a shock to my system for him to become completely absorbed in duck hunting for about four months...I had a rough time with it for a long time...slowly but surely i came around, he bought me a gun for christmas three years ago (i had never shot a gun before, and really had no interest at the time), but i came around. He and his aunt taught me to shoot, i finally took hunters ed. last summer, and i hunted with him quite a bit this last season...I still get pretty sensitive if i start feeling like hunting is becoming more of a priority than me and the kids...but we had to figure out a workable balance...i absolutely do not want to keep my husband from doing something that he has such a passion for...he loves to duck hunt...but he has had to learn that no matter what i come first...the more he makes me feel like i come first, the more willing i am to send him out the door, even cooking him breakfast at 5 or so a.m. for a early morning hunt...
    I don't think your girlfriend is a lost cause...i think compromise is in order...find another woman that hunts and see if maybe your girlfriend would be comfortable going with another woman there...i know a lot of guys say you shouldn't take her or it will be so much easier if she doesn't want to go...but i think it is a good idea...

8. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

Agreed. There are way too many women becoming involved in hunting today to waste time on a gal who detests it. Move on. No way in the world do you want to marry her and try to live with it that way. Dropping the relationship now will cost you alot less than doing after uttering the two potentially most damaging words in the English language (I DO).

9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

You have to be you. She has to be her. Speaking for her...its ok. Speaking for you, its also ok. Thats why you date. If it doesn't mesh, you both move on.

Sounds like its time to move on....because neither one of you should have to change. Its ok.....not the end of the world.

23 years of marriage and it is for sure a lot of give and take. Hunting? My wife gives.... a lot, all the time. I do the same for her in other ways. For sure though, if she was so insecure that she'd step in the way of hunting....I would have side stepped her. One thing for sure....my dog will always love me. I can live with that.

I am fortunate...I have a wonderful wife and she has no desire to hunt. Heck, she even cleans birds with me.

10. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

My advice is pick the girl and quit hunting. :z At least when you break up 10 years down the road she only gets half of your stuff. This darn hunting will take more of your time,energy,money, mind, and break you down way more than any woman :l Just Kidding.

Make her come with you and let her see how much you love doing what you do. If she is so selfish that she would want to take you away from somthing that makes you so happy, then dump her fast. IMO if a girl cant respect and give you time doing what you love shes not the right girl for you.