What is hunting too close?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Irish eyes, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

when I read other forums too often I’m reading rants about people hunting too close. Or people hunting in my spot....I’ve hunted that spot for twenty years......
    I try never to rig out right down wind from another set up. Rigging to the side or lateral separation is better but how much is enough.
    Open water has mor room than a shoreside rig but at ,east a quarter mile is usually available. Sometimes, especially in the afternoon I’ll set up a shoreside diver rig along the shore. I especially like to do that in my barnegate Bay sneakbox. Then I add some divers. I find much less competition in the evening.
    How do you handle when someone is rigged where you planned to hunt.
    Another thing is the puddle duckers hate people who show up late. I often don’t leave the dock until legal shooting time or am on the water about then I. Never set up hours before legal time.

2. Jerky

Jerky Senior Refuge Member

Tricky question and I think it all depends. I too launch after a.m. shooting hours. I hunt layouts with a non-camo tender. All of our boat driving can be very disruptive especially to higher flying birds. I stay at least a 1/2 mile away from shore hunters and avoid spending time in the flight lines. I as myself if I was them, what would I appreciate and have never heard a single complaint yet.

3. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I am antisocial. If I can hear you shoot, you are too close.

4. Irish eyes

Jerky, I always look forward to seeing a boat moving on the water. Even if they come near me they might push up some birds. If they don’t fly they can’t be decoyed.
    Almost every deer hunter I’ve met while working a bird dog felt the same way. Keep the deer moving. I never see deer while working a dog with a bell around it’s neck, I assume they move off way before us.

5. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

If their bb's can break your skin, you've setup too close. If they can't hit you, you're far enough.

6. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

I'd suggest going out after 9. By then the morning flights are done and movement will be appreciated. But nothing ticks off many hunters more than someone moving around within the first couple of hours of legal shooting. Even LEO's...most of them anyways...will give that courtesy. Stay 300-500 yards off another hunter...500 again is more appreciated.

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Concur with the "leaving the dock at shooting hours". It helps noone. Especially not in the timber. The ones you'll hear the chief complaints about there are the ones who meant to get there early, but for whatever reason, couldn't, yet are still hellbent on getting out there, and making every duck around even more skittish. Nobody I have ever met has had an issue with you coming in late, and being courteous about it. Its the ones that run through your decoys right at shooting hours who get the boat paddle.

As for distance, it all depends on the area. I'm more in tune with timber hunting (I know this is the diver forum, but I'm illustrating how the area matters). I have hunted within 50 yards of folks (they pulled up on us) and we both had a good hunt. I have hunted hundreds of yards away and due to inexperience and/or frustration, had hunts ruined. The key is to not be disrespectful. Don't pass shoot when you are in close proximity of other groups, unless pass-shooting is the flavor of the ducks that day (no ducks decoying all day, etc). You would be amazed at how many groups in the timber could kill ducks off of one hole allowing them to fall in and get their butts wet, before they shot. They don't fly "up and out" like they came in. They go in every direction, through the woods. If I hear a gunshot close, my head is on a swivel, because there is a good chance they didn't get every duck, and it's looking for a path out. Yet, every year it happens... Someone pulls up close, sees you there, and panics. They end up thinking you are gonna shoot their swing, and try to treetop ducks. It makes absolutely no sense.

8. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    If you have to ask yourself if your too close...you are. If you rain on me, I'll be pizzed. It's a big place , find another place to set up, or get up earlier.

GK1, Phytoplankton and freefall like this.
  9. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Probably the biggest douche bag move in all of duck hunting. Get to your spot before legal shooting time or wait until after 9 to move there. Now, if you are in your spot and more than 400 yards away setting up at legal shooting time ok.

But damn you have some bad karma due to you if you are regularly motoring around other hunters within the first two hours of legal shooting.

Who taught you this? And why the heck are you doing it?

freefall and lax like this.
  10. Irish eyes

I’m hunting in water that is MILES wide. I am usually motoring a min over a half mile off the beach. If there is another open water hunter I stay way away from them. I am not talking about hunting in swamps or timber. Some people rig for divers on the beach,I have done that often. When I do I get there before legal shooting tine.
    When I posted this I was thinking about open water set ups. I often rig for sea ducks. Always way off the beach. I don’t like to get out there in the dark. I see no reason to wait until 9:00 to leave the launch ramp.
    This type of hunting I rarely even see another open water rig. Last year I went out in a bad fog. Went to my spot based on gps and rigged out. When the sun dialysis burned off the fog I was closer to another rig than I would have wanted to be. Don’t even know who got there first.

stevena198301 likes this.