What is the best caliber for Big Horn Sheep?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by 10ga.goosehunter, Jul 11, 2003.

1. chiefs

chiefs Refuge Member

No Doug, I am not wrong about the optics, the best shot in the world is nothing, if he cannot see, the scope is fogged up or the scope is loose, and I see this consistently year after year. I will also tell you that your knowing your weapon to the extent that you say you do is not the norm for most hunters out there. My hat is off to you for being that familar with your weapon, and yes I have also seen hunters being afraid of large calibers on the range. I am talking about the norm, the average hunter, and the 243 is a marginal caliber for most Big Game in North America, put in the hands of a hunter that is not as competent as you, is a little excited, and the 243 is well below marginal for Moose for example. You could kill a Moose with a stick if all things were right but we were talking about the best possible caliber and the 243 is no it. I would not bet you the 243 that you draw the first year you apply for your tag because I wouldn't want to win the gun, wouldn't have a use for it. As for the Max points, I also have them, doesn't mean that you will draw the first year you decide to apply for the permit. You should draw eventually, as long as the politicians don't change the draw system again, because they have no chance of drawing another tag in their lifetime.

2. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Chiefs, hope I didn't come off terse, I wasn't attempting that. I was trying to push the point that hunters need to spend WAY more time shooting at the range in all kinds of conditions. I agree 100% with your statement on optic quality, I was saying that a poor shot with the best equipment is still a poor shot. A group of us went to MT last fall. Outfitter told us about possiblity of shots to 600. I took an 06 and shot about 500 rounds through it in practice. Last day of practice before leaving was about 20 degrees with blowing snow that was going dead sideways in a @25mph wind. Sure was nice to know what the drift was. Of course during the hunt, it was fogged in all week, couldn't see 50 yards!!! Maybe next time.

I was talking online to a couple of the guys in the Wyoming F&G dept and they were telling me about my chances of drawing my tag. I continue to hold off and just sucking up the pts due to a guy I want to hunt with having some health problems and unable to hunt if he were to draw. We both have max pts and want to draw together. May not happen but we hope. What area are you wanting or are you just wanting a tag? I saw Bill Jordan of Realtree drew an area 3 tag! Wonder how much politics was involved there!

Good Luck
    Doug

3. chiefs

chiefs Refuge Member

Doug,
    No Problem, I arrange hunting trips for people Worldwide and I could tell you some unbeleivable stories about poor shooting, poor equipment,poor preparation, and lack of mental toughness when it comes to what is reqired on a hunting trip for certain animals. tThe Rocky Mountain Bighorn is the only sheep that I need to complete my Slam. I too have been in on the draw since the implementaion of the point system, as a matter of fact way before that. They started the point system because several politicians felt they would never draw a tag. turns out they drew, and they decided they would never have a chance to draw again, so they changed the point system and went to the current system of taking out a % and putting those tags in another draw. I am simplifying what actually has happened , but it is ridiculous. I would gladly make it a once in a lifetime tag to have a better chance of getting a tag. I only need and want one, and would then let someone else have the chance, but I know guys with 4-5 Bighorns from WY.

4. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

I live in wy. I know of people that have drew 2 sheep tags in their life but 4or 5 that seems a little far fetched. If it's true I'd like to rub their heads.

5. chiefs

chiefs Refuge Member

Well it's true but I don't think they would want you to rub their heads. I know of one hunter with 4 and another with 5 rams from WY.

6. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Never shot a bighorn but shot plenty of Dall sheep. 270 shooting 130 grain Nosler partitions have never failed me. Good optics are an absolute must. Scope, spotting scope and to a lesser extent, binoculars should be as good as you can afford. I'm a Leupold fan.

7. chiefs

chiefs Refuge Member

Hey DaknDug,
    I drew that WY tag and took a great 172 ram to complete my slam, picture at www.farleysadventures.com hope you get your tag when ready to apply. Take care.

8. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

the 30.06 with a 165 grain bullet is a great round especially for sheep and you can practically find this round anywhere.:tu

9. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Chiefs,

Congrats on a great ram! Got more pics, would love to see them.

Awesome!

Doug

10. DanD

DanD Senior Refuge Member

This combination is what I used to take my dall some years back. One shot, fell in his tracks, he never new what hit him.