What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by KwickLabs, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I don't have enough experience to add anything valuable to the discussion but as a new trainer one of the concepts that seemed logical to me was to teach prior to forcing. As a new trainer I always approached pressure with a high degree of caution and in one case had to back away from the pressure and rethink my approach. I still Dont have a full understanding of the proper use of pressure, especially as it applies to the the more advanced work but I'm still trying to learn.

bullpinnie likes this.
  2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I am pretty much the same way when it comes to force. My male came from a trainer that has several dogs with Grand titles. He was basically one of his personal dogs that washed out by about 10 months. The trainer used a lot of force, and the dog is extremely soft. He literally cowered around for a year, and would flinch whenever he was given a basic command. If i ever raised my voice to him he would just shut down completely. It is because of that that i lean way on the softer side. he's come a long way, and is doing things that a pro trainer could never get him to do. Granted, he probably won't ever win a Grand, but he's good in the blind, and has picked up at least 1,000 ducks. We got into the hunt test thing about a year ago. its been fun, and I have learned a lot, but I've got a long way to go.

Doc E likes this.
  3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Good for you! Lucky for him (ending up with you). :tu

Irishwhistler likes this.
  4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Oh, most definitely. He's a great dog, and an even better companion. Until recently, I never had the time to train, and participate in hunt tests ( although, I've trained 5 "hunting retrievers" in the last 25 years). He went 4/4 to get his seasoned title. He's close to being able to run finished, but my (80 year old) mother had a lengthy stay in the hospital this summer that prevented me from getting him ready for the fall hunt tests. he is solid on blind retrieves & handling, but less so running triples. We'll get there.

Doc E likes this.