Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

What is up?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by ML Racing Mules, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Boeinguy737

Boeinguy737 Senior Refuge Member

The State DU convention is in Boise in a week, June 20-22. That might be a good time to air your concerns to the State Officers, and perhaps some Regional and/or National Officers.

Also, here is some contact info for the State Level Officers from the DU...

State Chair
    Bruce Newcomb
    (208)859-9572
    boiseendo@msn.com

State Chair Elect
    Greg Bartholomew
    (208) 631-3084
    bullfever13@yahoo.com

Regional Director
    Mond Warren
    (208) 869-5024
    mwarren@ducks.org

State Council Chairman
    Bob Baird
    (208)390-4660
    rtbaird55@hotmail.com

State Treasurer
    Scott Madison
    (208)377-6105
    smadison@intgas.com

State Strategic Plan
    Bill Poindexter
    (208)331-7555
    bpoindexter@bcidaho.com

Publicity Chairman
    Drew Allen
    (208)250-5494
    drew@peppershock.com

Major Gifts Chairman
    Craig Gaudio
    (208)520-6544
    craiggaudio@gmail.com

2. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Ya know whats nice (not) about this list, not one of them signed any of the online petitions to stop waterfowl/turkey guiding in Idaho. They sure supported idaho waterfowlers on that one didnt they. But, of course most of us didnt think they would. DU doesnt want to get tangled up in these kinds of issues at the local level. They just want habitat (lol) improvement. And you think the guides are going to put money into waterfowl habitat? I dont and that was a comment from many Idaho waterfowlers over the past few years.

If they support waterfowling in Idaho, why didnt any of them sign any of our petitions and fight against guiding for waterfowl in Idaho. I'd love to hear their positions and reasons. Let them post them up on here.

3. Boeinguy737

Boeinguy737 Senior Refuge Member

I don't know Goosepond, nor can I verify what you stated is true.

I signed it.

Why don't you ask them and get back to the rest of us...contact info has been provided. I might add that a positive, diplomatic approach may work better than confrontation.

GDF

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Every situation is different; but more habitat means more ducks.
    I have always hunted next to refuges or areas protected from hunting or private clubs. In Minnesota the coveted place we hunted was always within a mile of the Swan lake Refuge
    Washington state next to the Ridgefield Refuge or across from Sauvie Island (refuge)
    Utah the BRBR and private clubs
    Here in Pocatello, The Fort Hall reservation,.. and City limits
    More habitat means more ducks which has alway ment better hunting

5. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

What I would like to know is how come I need to contact some DU official to find out what their plan is for the WW property when its the members money in the first place? But thanks, Boeing for posting their contact information.

It seems like having a management plan (hey DU you do have one for this property right??) posted on their website is not only smart but mandatory. I know they do have the rah rah fluff fluff summary but all that tells me really is that its likely to get sold to a private entity which we can debate till the cows come home if that will be a good thing or not. Just seems like they would have such information readily available for the members so we can see just what they plan to do not just say we are going to enhance habitat yada yada yada. I am sure I am coming across very negative to DU and that is certainly somewhat true. But I also honestly want to know what the plan is and don't thing its unreasonaable as a paying member to know what the plan is. I shouldnt' have to ask I should be offered that information as a potentially affected waterfowl hunter.

http://www.ducks.org/idaho/idaho-projects

6. IFSteve

Here is the letter I just sent to several of the DU officers listed. I will be interested to see how they respond and will keep you posted.

As an avid waterfowl hunter in SE Idaho I am very interested in the plans Ducks Unlimited has for the recently required property at Roberts, Idaho. Having both shot clay targets and hunted on the property I am somewhat familiar with the grounds and understand the potential habitat value of that property. However, I am also somewhat concerned about the long term future of the property once DU has completed its habitat enhancement work. So I have a few questions that perhaps you can answer.

1. Since DU now holds ownership to the Western Wings property are you going to allow the Idaho Department of Fish and Game to increase the water levels in the Market Lake Wildlife Management Area? Increasing water levels enables two significant actions, First being able to flood the marsh on the west side of the access road will bring back significant nesting habitat that has been mostly dry for a long time. Secondly increased water levels, especially in the fall will greatly increase the hunting opportunity. As it stands now most of the main marsh is not huntable due to extremely low water levers which precludes access.

2. Does DU have a management plan for the property? I would like to get a copy of that plan so that I can see specifically what DU has in mind and the long term objectives and schedule for implementation. I have read the summary on the DU Idaho webpage but that is more a press release. I would like to see the actual management plan.

3. I understand that DU is going to allow public hunting access to the property. Specifically when is that going to occur and what is the process for obtaining access and what are the access guidelines going to be? I am interested in the specifics on how this will be implemented. Such as how many hunters, what days of the week, first come first served/assigned blinds/permit drawings/etc

Regards,

Steve Birrer

7. IFSteve

Got a short quick response already! Kudos to DU.

I am forwarding your email to Chris Colson, a Biologist for DU here in Idaho. He should be able to answer all of your questions. Thank you for your interest in the Western Wings Property, now know as Market Lake Ranch.

Bruce Newcomb

Idaho DU Chair

8. Toothshucker1

Toothshucker1 Senior Refuge Member

Bruce is a good guy.

Have met Chris. Also nice. Not a hunter though and I doubt will have an informed or experienced notion about how these properties can affect hunting on adjacent public or private land. Don't think he cares. Just looks for potential duck production period.

It's true properties adjacent to Obendorfs do well. It's the public hunting that suffers the greatest.

9. IFSteve

After thinking about how to summarize my thinking I came down to this.

There will always be ducks around to watch. If habitat and climate change screw the pooch there will still be mallards flying around that I can see.

What I am interested in is two things and they are just about equal importance.

1. Enough ducks to support a viable hunting season.
    2. Places to hunt.

I love watching waterfowl but I could care less if there are a dozen to watch of a thousand. So I am not a fan of "improved habitat" IF it is at the expense of what is already limited public hunting opportunity.

10. Toothshucker1

Toothshucker1 Senior Refuge Member