Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

What is up?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by ML Racing Mules, Apr 14, 2014.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Well the duck population overall has been higher the past few years since the 1950's, We do have a 107 day duck season and a fairly large limit.
    As a kid in Minnesota I remember a 30 day season and 4 ducks.

For a desert, SE Idaho has a lot of places to hunt ducks, like most places; find water and you have ducks
    While not all public water is great hunting there is some very good places to hunt and nearly unlimited types of places to hunt.
    We have some great public places to hunt with in 30-90 minute drive, way better than many of the hunters who live out east and dont live in a desert.
    In SE Idaho We have a dozen wildlife management areas/waterfowl production areas, Hundreds and hundred of miles of river and Resivuor shoreline,
    over 70 thousand acres in 4 refuges, plus other public and private waters. Even some of the 100's of thousands of acres of " Access Yes"
    And for cheaper than a club fee; Fort Hall. Heck I live a 1/2 mile and my waterfowling is good enough in hunting Idaho for over 15 years Ive only bought a res permit once
    And the hundreds of places on BLM and other public lands
    Then just a short drive north into Montana or south into the Great Salt Lake basin. Heck even Wyoming
    We have incredible public places to hunt, Most arent cat-tail wetlands but incredible public waterfowl hunting

2. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Salty all good points.

One thought, how good do you think your PRIVATE farm would be to hunt if the tribe decided to shut down hunting? Those birds you hunt would never leave Fort Hall and that is exactly what concerns my about what could potentially happen at the Western Wings and Market Lake WMA.

3. salthunter

The birds still leave to get killed
    A great example would be Rochester Minn. 50,000 giant Canadas. All feeding and resting in a refuge, and closed to hunting ares. the geese are all killed outside the closed area

Hunting would only be better. Granted there are only private fields

Ill start with the private field I have exclusive permission.
    A number of ponds inside city limits were filled or drained because of the goose problem a few years back. the golf course drain their ponds
    Those ponds were a refuge for migrating geese and resting geese from Chesterfield Res. At times those ponds held over 2000 geese
    Since those ponds were filled I do not have that population to hunt, the geese are gone. They no longer exist, the resting habitat is gone. That field went from taking hundreds of geese and ducks a year to a Two to three times a year field to hunt.
    One year the field had been marked for potatoes, We hunted traffic I dont think we once got "skunked" and most days were limits.
    Last year on that field We killed the local birds opening day and that Thursday,.. The local birds generally don't need to use the field, and don't that was the end of the hunting.

Fort Hall has about 11,000 acres of the 75,000 field acres that pemitees can hunt on.
    I do hunt a private field that basically for the asking permission is granted to anyone. Not a public field but anyone can hunt it. That field is adjacent to fields that are closed on Fort Hall. Basically the part of Fort Hall that has been a refuge "forever". And That field is the biggest killing field in this county.
    Directly across the road from 50,000 acres of closed fields

If hunting wasnt allowed on Fort Hall at all I expect hunting to improve so much that I could kill limits of ducks and geese from my patio when the wind was right.

Where I live great goose hunting in the field beside my house is directly related to where the birds are roosting, With high water and no hunting pressure thousands of geese would be roosting within 4 miles of my place, the hunting would be fantastic

4. Boeinguy737

Boeinguy737 Senior Refuge Member

I too grew up in MN. Many of my childhood hunting spots were public land next to refuges. 2 of these were lakes that were partial refuges, and partially open to hunting. In all of these cases, the public was heavily hunted, but, could provide good hunting. Stale birds know the rules. Fresh birds don't, and will move outside the boundaries as they haven't learned the rules. If the "refuge" can't provide enough feed for the birds, they will be forced to leave the refuge and provide hunting opportunities.

Duck behavior is ever evolving. I believe ducks are becoming more nocturnal as hunting pressure and moon phases dictate. Birds that go out to feed all night, and return to the water after daybreak. Beeline the their own defined refuge. Drive a boat past them and they circle right back into their own little refuge. Another behavior is birds that go out to feed and stay put out there all day if digestion water is present...leaving the river/reservoir/refuge before first light and not returning until after shooting light.

Just some thoughts...every situation is different...

5. salthunter

We have some geese on a regional resiviur . After the 2nd week or so most of the birds fly out of the mountains to feed about sunset, fry 20 plus miles, feed all night and return about sunrise. It doesn't matter the moon phase , they feed all night long

You have probably seen how local or stale birds condition them selves flying safe borders, skirting open to hunt areas

6. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

So, ML, where is this form? Don't think it exists. The info that we got direct from DU is that Western Wings is to be first come first serve and sign in at the headquarters. You always seem to post stuff up that you cant back up. You make comments like this and never can back them up. Sure hope your friend has better intel than you get, but I don't believe he/she does as you couldn't produce the form and I sure wouldn't post up info like this unless you knew for sure. Don't get the masses excited if you don't know. Once again, just keep your comments to yourself unless you have hard cold facts.

Now whether or not this came to fruition for this season, we don't know as nothing has been posted anywhere around as far as we know, so I wouldn't count on it being open and if it is, not sure where anyone would hunt.