What is your next big game gun going to be?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Alamosa, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

WP - I think you are getting great performance from those guns because you've had some expert training as well as many decades experience. I believe it also takes an eagle's eye combined with a steady hand to consistantly shoot that well.

Most of my hunting party is also partial to A-bolts (BLR for me).

In my own estimation, if you have a production rifle and can say that it is a consistant sub-MOA shooter then you have got your money's worth. If the cost of the rifle is over, say $1200 or so (again, my own estimation) then I expect it to shoot sub MOA. Also factor into this better rifles tend to get better glass.

2. Icelander513

Icelander513 Elite Refuge Member

For me, it's all about getting close... I have no desire to shoot an animal so far away that he couldn't smell me in an average wind in the respective direction... and I love me a lever-gun!

Took my first buck with a gun last year! I have a few nice ones with my bow in years past, but a first with the rifle! Trusty Winchester 94 30-30 w/ Leupold 2-7X32... that gun carries like a dream.

3. 11P&YBOWHUNTER

11P&YBOWHUNTER Refuge Member

This is a good thread.

I am actually looking for two rifles...

1.) A Winchester Trapper in 30-30 with the 16 inch barrel. I see them once and a while on gun broker but i am not about to drop 600 on one. I bought my Trapper 44 mags (3) all for less than 400. Deals are out there, you just need to wait for them is my philosophy

2.) Browning Acera in 30-06 or 300 win mag. There is a few of these floating around....

4. jzaferis

jzaferis Senior Refuge Member

I have two Marlin Maruarders, both made in 1964, one in .30-30 and one in 35Rem. They are a dream to handle, but I am partial to Savage 1899/99's. In my opinion the Marlin is more accurate then the Win. I have a Win 94, the only reason I keep it, is because it was given to me by my father.

My 1938 Barrel Band 99 in .30-30 is a real shooter.

By the way, the Marlins can be had for $1800.00!:tu

Almost forget...

My next big game rifle is going to be a Ruger M77 tang safety. It is going to Pac-Nor for a .416 Taylor barrel, then off to Mcmillian to be stocked. As far as glass for that on...have not yet made that decision.

5. 30WCF

30WCF Elite Refuge Member

I'm thinking real hard about one of the new X-bolt, not sure what caliber yet. Probably another 7mmWSM. Its just a great all around caliber.

6. duckshooter esq.

duckshooter esq. Senior Refuge Member

my next hunt will be for caribou,the rifle is a tikka 300 wsm ,scope bushnell 5 x 15 3200 ,bullet 180 grain N.P. This combo worked on a 6 foot 10 in. bear and a 6 x8 elk. John:tu

7. duckshooter esq.

duckshooter esq. Senior Refuge Member

my next rifle will be a sako 300 wsm. with a bushnell 6500 2.5 x 16 scope I will use a 180 grain n.p. federal bullet. John:dv

8. Darin-C

Darin-C Elite Refuge Member

Last month I picked up a TC Pro Hunter Stainless in 300 Win Mag. and topped it with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 scope. I love this gun.

[​IMG]

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior Refuge Member

Remington model 700 sps 7mm. Mag with a leupold VX-III 3.5x10x40.

10. hutty

hutty Elite Refuge Member

Just got it back from the gunsmith, CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. Topped it with Talley Quick Detach mounts and a leupold 2.5x8.0. Throws a tight group of 400 gr Barnes TSX at 100 yds.