Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

What is your next big game gun going to be?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Alamosa, Feb 5, 2008.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Remington 700 7mm Mag
    Shooting 168grain Berger VLD's
    Bushnell Elite 4200

If I had the bucks I would buy one of the Nosler limited run rifles in 280 Ackley Improved.

2. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

The budget is tight and the 14 gun safe is full :(

But, it looks like I can make room for a new camo T/C Endeavor .50 cal muzzleloader this summer. I'll worry about rifle barrels for it later, maybe after I see what a few tag applications bring :)

Other than that, it's going to be a year of shooting what I already own; 6.5 x 55, .25-06, .270 WSM, etc.

mudhen

3. RightWing

RightWing Banned

Marlin .35......I love open-sight, up close and personal hunting when I can. Coming up on 4 months that I've been waiting on it from Dick's......sucks and I'm ****ed. :mad: When I go out west it's a .270 or .300.

4. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

on lay-a-way, in 7mm Mag, for Elk here in Washington.

5. jaeger

jaeger Refuge Member

That is outstanding accuracy. Was the gun in a vise/lead sled? Even in a vacuum with no wind that would be hard to duplicate with anything short of a competition benchrest rifle. Sounds like a good nut behind the bolt! I am thinking of a Kimber Classic for my next rifle.

+1 on slicking up & Mauser based CRF Dangerous Game Rifles. IMO, when hunting things that’ll bite back the rifle has to feed & eject each time every time in every position and at every speed. I am sending my CZ .458WM to a smith for a reliability job because although it cycles round noses fine it’ll hang up every 20th flat-nosed 500 gr. solid cycled at high speed from the shoulder. For most rifles this is acceptable, but again for a DGR it needs a look at. Doesn’t mean its not a good rifle. For feeding the cartridge design is also key. That is why you’ll never see a .375, .416, or .458 WSM for dangerous game. Those short fat cases & rebated rim just aren’t made with cycling reliability in mind.

+1 on all of this. ¾ inch is plenty good enough for hunting. Of course ¾” off the bench is not ¾” hunting. My 30-06 and .300 WBY will do ½” off the bench and my .375 H&H will do ¾”. Once I got these loads developed and proved to myself what the rifles will do, I hardly shoot them off the bench anymore. Now its off-hand, sitting, prone, off sticks, etc. mimicking hunting situations. Lets just say those groups expand to more than what the difference between a 3/8 ” & ¾” benchrest accuracy is worth. Of course for what its worth I wouldn’t own a medium bore of .375 or less that did not hold 1” groups or less off the bench.

+1 on this too. I have seen this phenomenon myself but I hope you explained to him that even though it is now “dialed-in” it only is for you. The way different folks hold rifles, difference in their facial structure and how they look thru the scope can change Point of Impact by a MOA or more. I have also seen this phenomenon. Of course it sounds like he needs to get his technique down before he’d have to worry about that..

Well to answer the question originally asked I don’t need any more big game rifles… I have a Remington 700 CDL in .30-06 topped with a 3-9 Zeiss that shoots like a wet dream, a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby topped with a Leupold 4.5-14X50 VX III (awesome accuracy from a $400 gun), a Ruger Safari Magnum in .375 H&H topped with a Zeiss3-9X40 in QD warne rings. I also have a CZ Fancy Grade in .458 Win Mag. (that I have been thinking of getting reamed out to a Lott) which is currently scopeless since the Leupold 1-4X24 in warne QD rings it wears cracked its glass under recoil due to a poor mounting job by my smith. However, I’d like 2 more and think I’d be set for the rest of my life. Not really a fan of the WSM’s yet even they are efficient. Maybe if they are still around and readily available in 20 years. They just don’t do much that existing cartridges won’t do (BTW… most cartridges were designed early in the 20th century long and skinny - instead of short & fat - so they’d reliably feed. Of course kill them w/ the 1st shot and its not an issue). Just my personal preference but I like cartridges with a track record. All that being said I think my next will be a .25-06 in either a Remington CDL, Kimber Classic, or Ruger #1 which will be my WT/Varmint gun. This one will wear a Zeiss 4.5-14X44. Then the pinnacle of my lifes rifle ambition will be a Butch Searcy .470 or .500 Nitro Express double rifle. Still a few bonus checks away from that though…

6. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

Just picked up a Kimber Montana .300 Win Mag as my almost everything gun.
    W.:tu :tu

7. HereDuckyDucky

HereDuckyDucky Elite Refuge Member

Hmm...not really a big game gun, though I suppose you could use it for open-range shooting.

Savage 10 Tactical, .308 win, Leupold Vari-X III Tactical 4.5-14x40. Just picked up over the weekend.

Also picked up a Win. Model 70 in 7mm mag with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40.

Right now I'm looking at a Savage 10, bull barrel .223, with a VX-II 6-18x40 and harris 9" bi-pod. After-market B&C stock. I just haven't decided how much its worth to me yet.

RW

8. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

I am going to sell a Rem 700 bdl in 7 mag with Nikon Monarch 3x9 scope with floated barrel and trigger work all done by Jack Sicola:tu .Pops bought a Kimber and I am getting his 300 mag. which is identical to mine just adifferent caliber and scope.

9. furface

furface Elite Refuge Member

My latest is a Thompson Pro Hunter action on a Boyds thumbhole stock with a ESAB accuracy barrel in .280 and a Burris 4.5-14x40AO scope.
    When I first put this rig togeather I was getting 1 hole groups at 100 yards with 140GR Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. After shooting a few groups the point of impact would change. I was having forend bedding problems. The fore end screws kept backing off and that was changing my point of impact.
    I shipped the fore end and barrel to Stratton Custom for a Hanger bar conversion. I also sent him the action for a 3# trigger job. I got it back a few weeks ago and I have not made it to the range yet to try it out.... its killing me waiting... :(

I also have a Virgin Valley Match Grade .22LR barrel topped by a Weaver 3-9x32AO to try out :grvn

10. Raul G

Raul G Elite Refuge Member

In Africa, where I have done my only big game hunting, I used both a bolt action Ruger Mk.II and the Ruger No.1 single shot. I preferred the latter. I bagged a fine kudu at 150 meters, several impala, warthog. I liked the simplicity of the No.1, I did not need a follow-up shot but one can quickly re-load. My experiences with the bolt action were negative. Keep it simple. I admit I am a novice at rifle shooting, I primarily use scatterguns and bird hunt. The No.1 was a 7mmx57 chambering but I was told both there in South Africa and here that a 30-06 would be a better choice with a wide range of loads. Over there in the thorn bush you can get by with open sights- in fact a scoped rifle may be a hindrance in that terrain and the shots are relatively close compared to say, our American west. I would of course get a suitable scope to use here as well.