What kind of aftermarket stereo systems do you have?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by 10ga, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

I'm looking to replace my OEM stereo and just wondering what you guys have and what you think about it. I'm wanting something with an MP3 outlet and maybe a USB port. Here's what I'm looking at right now.

JVC KWR800BT
    [​IMG]

Clarion CX501
    [​IMG]

Installing in a 2002 double cab Tacoma

2. c-hawk19

c-hawk19 Elite Refuge Member

I have always used pioneer with very good results from the three different head units I have used. I would recommend the USB personally for a charger but that is me. I do know some guys who have used jvc and it is usually good stuff. The clarion I'm not sure on.

3. X2man

X2man Refuge Member

i use and have used an alpine 9886 for quite a few years and love it...i dont know if you plan on running subs or highs but if so an alpine is the deck to go with...it has all the settings for your subs, mids, and highs and everything in between. Clarion also makes a really good decks as well. havent had much luck with JVC's...i have replaced alot of them in vehicles just because the cd player quits working or the whole thing just quits.

4. huntinkid

huntinkid Elite Refuge Member

I have a Clarion VZ401. It's the one with pop-out 7" touch screen. Functionally, I like it. It's real nice with an ipod plugged into the USB port. (routed from the back of the head unit into my glovebox) But it hasn't been too reliable. I was on a roadtrip home when it was 2 months old and it just stopped working about 8 hours into a 14 hour trip. It was an internal problem, not just a blown fuze or something, and got replaced under warranty. Since then I have had a few problems with it turning on all of the time. Sometimes it just won't power on. My warranty is out now so I just have to deal with it. I paid more than the average asking price, because I was in a hurry to buy, but I feel like you should be able to get a better product for the same price.

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Good question! I've missed music in my truck for a while. I am really ignorant about Ipods and the new digital forms...still have cd's at home. I am fairly content with the am/fm in my 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 work truck model but would like in the future to increase the scope to include the Ipod. I wonder if the cd format will disappear any time soon? I will be in the market in a couple of more years for a new truck probably go with the same. Sorry, I am 59 and I remember how much fun it was installing that first Alpine cassette player in that '69 Falcon- had a separate graphic equalizer, 6x9 powerful speakers on the rear deck, oh yeah! Things have changed- I did use a Sony Walkman one summer but I can't see carrying or using an Ipod today while walking, but could enjoy that format in the truck cruising down the road!

6. displacedtexan

displacedtexan Refuge Member

I've got a Kenwood ddx419, DVD head unit.

Plus all new speakers, sub, and a couple amps.