What kind of paint y’all use to touch up

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by cholt, Nov 10, 2017.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

needing to touch up some canvasbacks wondering what kind of paint to use

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I use the same paint that I use on my carved decoys: artist's acrylics. The selection of colors makes it easy to mix them to match anything you'd find on a bird.

WHUP ! Hen and Ringbill like this.
  3. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

I use rustoleum camo spray paint or flat metal primer spray paint (grays, white, and rust). The rust colored primer is a pretty good match for drake can heads, though maybe not quite as "red" as the real birds. It's worked well enough for me. For brushing on paint I use flat primer paint. I repainted a half dozen cans this year and used black and white primer for the body and rust-colored for the heads on the drakes. For the hens I used tan camo for the heads, brown for the chest, and light and dark gray for the body. For detail work and blending colors after getting the main colors on, I'd spray the color needed on a paper plate and brush on. I don't get super detailed for my working blocks. When done, seal with a couple coats of matte clear coat. Works for me.

Cheers,
    Rich

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Home depot has Behr samples and they will mix about any color you can bring in.Flat and pretty reasonable.

5. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

drop me an e mail
    gwdecoys@Verizon.net. Glad to share paint schematic
    The paint I use is Golden Matte acrylics.