What makes for a "good" shrimp?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Boomn4x4, Feb 1, 2018.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

They're all good for cooking, it just depends on what you're cooking. Browns go well in gumbos and such, while whites are better for going in pastas or on the grill, and pinks in salads and such.
    Not absolutes of course, but holds true most of the time.

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have had some very good wild caught Pacific Ocean Shrimp.

4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Ive eaten hundreds of pounds of gulf shrimp, lived here my whole life, anybody that says they can taste the difference between white and brown shrimp, or that shrimp that look pinkish are sweeter, are either trying to sell you shrimp or are experiencing placebo effect. Your one and only concern should be freshness. No more than a couple days old, never frozen. Old shrimp will be soft and mushy. You want shrimp with a hard shell and firm meat. I skip the retailers and buy from the source, but $12-14 a lb for 15-20 ct shrimp seems to be the going retail rate for fresh gulf shrimp in my area. Hope this helps.

5. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    That aint got a thing to do with the north and the south..

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I won't say I've eaten more shrimp than you, because I have not, but rest assured, the pink ones I got in AK were sweet flavored. They were Alaskan shrimp though. Very small. As for gulfies, I cannot taste a difference.

FIL went down to Mobile a couple years back during the winter, and while down there, he decided to find some shrimp. After a lot of searching, he found some. Bought like 40 LBs of it to give away and eat. When he unloaded them, he read the bag: Product of Venezuela, I believe they were (it was a S. American country, if not Venezuela). Set him off. :l :doh

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Why did I read this?

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I was speaking strictly of Gulf of Mexico shallow water shrimp. There are only 2 kinds- white and brown- but either one the meat might look “pinkish” at times. That’s what I meant. Deep water Gulf shrimp (royal reds) and shrimp from other parts of the world most certainly are different.

I bet! Tell him next time he comes, go to either Bon Secour or Bayou La Batre to get em. These are the 2 local ports for shrimp boats, and any shrimp purchased there will be fresh and local.

newduk and cast&blast like this.
  9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

If you cook them in something really rich and heavily flavor sure, but if you throw them on the grill or in something more delicate you can absolutely tell the difference in many cases. The browns tend to have a much stronger iodine flavor than the whites; there's little question they have a milder flavor profile in most cases.
    And yes, I've eaten quite a few myself; grew up in southwest Louisiana with a grandpa that trawled for them on the weekends. Spent many hours on a shrimp boat as a kid.

10. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

It's all about spot prawns.