What might be causing muscle atrophy in a Sr dog?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by h2ofwlr, Dec 8, 2017.

1. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

I had a lab that was a few weeks short of 14 years old when we put him down earlier this year. He had developed arthritis in his hips and became much less active. He dropped a similar amount of weight, 75 to 65 lbs. To try and keep him comfortable he was on 325 mg of aspirin and 10 mg of tramadol twice a day. He was much more comfortable but eventually got to the point where he really struggled to stand.

Tom

2. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

FLL, I disagree of your assessment. He is just as active as 3 yrs ago. Again there is not indication of hip pain when he's walking, etc. And I'll leave it at that.

My gut says the weight loss/atrophy is internal, like the liver is not processing the calories or something similar to that.

3. h2ofwlr

Really? :doh I WAS having a really good day for once (and I rarely get those lately), but hey thanks for ruining my day after reading your broadside censure.

No I am not a man of wealth to pay for a bunch of needless tests. Others have experience in which I am trying to better pinpoint what it is perhaps based on their prior experience what to look for VS a freaking wild goose chase costs me hundreds of $ needlessly in vet bills. And hey, is that not one of the reasons internet forums are about? Trying to be of help to, learning, and finding information? So excuse me for taking that initiative to learn from others experience in this matter.

FYI the atrophy is all over his body(like I mentioned before), not just his legs. His head and neck has lost muscle mass too. So your insistence that it is arthritis I do not agree with as since when does physical exercise work the muscle around the skull like between the ears and top of head and eyes and top of head? So thus for me 2+2 is NOT = 4 for me in your assessment.

So Bah Humbug to you too.

4. BENSSS

BENSSS New Member

I'm 74. my old dog (14 now) lost weight and hind quarter was bad limp--read an article by ny vet about the results with ester c--the hell of it is it worked--worked so good I started taking it and I believe it has helped. hate to say this but hand writing is on the wall. all dog owners-but hunters have it the bad-bad, your friend is getting old. I now have a year old springer spaniel that is doing a lot of the work and the brains (or I shroud say experience) are coming. man we grew old together

5. BENSSS

BENSSS New Member

h2owfir--i know you will stick with him and some comments are just mean not warranted.

6. h2ofwlr

What brand and dosage of ester c did you use? What was the primary benefit that you saw in your dog?

7. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

I don't think Ester-C will hurt, but may not be the cure you're looking for...

What are the benefits of Ester C?
    Ester-C. Also known as ascorbic acid, vitamin C's many functions include the development and repair of all body tissues, iron absorption, support of the immune system, and the maintenance of cartilage, bones and teeth. ... In Ester C, it is combined with calcium using a water-based manufacturing process.

8. Jere

Jere Refuge Member

How's the dog's appetite? Will it eat more if offered? Does it drink a lot? urination and bowel habits changed?

Whether you want to admit it or not this dog is in pain. There's some inflammatory process going on in that hip - so the source of the pain should be explored and the pain should be managed.

FWIW, IMO, you grossly overreacted to FFLs well considered post.

You said "I asked the Vet, 'so what may be causing it?' as thinking maybe something we should check for." She goes "don't know". Again, IMO, she should have given you a real answer, listing possibilities etc. Maybe you need a different vet.

Happy New Year.
    Jere

9. h2ofwlr

^^^ FFL Do me a favor please do NOT post on this any more. Seriously - stop.

What I had said is that I was looking for guidance to narrow down what to look for as I know others have dealt this this too and would share "my dog had the same thing going on, look for this as my dog had ____".
    Frankly, too many Vets are profit motivated, and want to do $500+ in tests which I can not afford. For me it's like duck hunting and you have a single shot - make it count. As that is what I am trying to do, VS spring Snow goose hunters and the spray and prayers using a shell tube extension and shoot 7 times flock shooting.

And like I had said previously - he is eating the same.
    In addition, he is drinking the same amount of water. Can hold (if necessary) his bladder for 10 hrs.
    Stool is the same as is twice a day bowel movement.
    I upped his glucosamine-chodriotin to daily (Vs every other day) a few weeks back, but he never was inactive ever, nor had his overall movements "slowed down" to begin with. Now his stamina is not the same, but that I do attribute to old age and started seeing that 3 years ago.
    I finally found ester-c locally and started that last night.
    So mobility wise was and is not the issue.

Whole body muscle atrophy is the concern and issue.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  10. h2ofwlr

Good to hear that you are finally done blasting me. I just do not need that at all.
    BTW, this is a private forum, meaning the Admins can boot anyone out, just like at a restaurant or bar. How about them apples....

Update.
    So in recent weeks I upped his glucosamine-chondroitin and last week started Ester-C.
    We were at the Vet today, he has lost 5 lb in 2 months. Did a blood panel - everything is normal.
    As a catch all I ran past the Dr about the 2 weeks of antibiotics. She said that is a good idea as it won't hurt and there could be something that is not obvious so could really help. So started Doxycycline which is supposed to be better than Tetracycline (which is an older anti-B), and Doxycycline is supposed to get at a wider range of possible "bugs" per the DR.
    - Thus yes I do listen and do take peoples advice -
    So being as of right now there are no obvious signs of organs misbehaving per the blood tests, well then the more likely culprit is cancer and nothing humanely can be done for that in a SR dog. Just keep him comfortable is all anyone can do if it's that.(Been there before).
    Or it's just that he has speeded up atrophy in an aged dog as was mentioned the other week by Mike, Buzz's father had major atrophy, and made it to age 15.5. (But it's highly unlikely Buzz will make it to that age with his progressive weight loss as he weighs 61.6 now, off from 66.8 2 months ago and 77, 14 months ago, and he now weighs about what he did at age 1 Y.O.) Being realistic, if he keeps loosing weight at this rate, for him to see the Spring flowers 4 months from now, I would be surprised.
    So currently it's a wait 2 weeks and see if there is an improvement or other negative noticeable behavior change.