Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

What Route

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Honker Ace, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

Group of four will be making the long trek from Maine for a week or so chasing birds (especially snows) across East Central Saskatchewan in the early part of October...We are pretty well set at this point, house rental is confirmed and deposit paid, landowner maps have come in (except for one), licenses are ordered and ready, I have thoroughly exhausted every website known to man regarding Canadian firearm crossing, and one of the final questions is...Which way do we take?

Coming from Maine there really isn't a "short" drive to begin with, we have to go either over the Great Lakes through Canada or under the Great Lakes through mostly the United States which adds a lot of time either way. According to MapQuest, through Canada is 36 1/2 hours of driving while going through the United States most of the trip adds roughly an hour and a half, closer to 38 hours. I'm guessing 40-42 hours depending on the route once stops for fuel, restroom, etc. are all factored in.

My question is whether the extra 1 1/2 hours saved is worth going through Canada - firearm transportation laws (I will have a gun lock on both of my shotguns while in the case), gas prices, traffic, tolls, are all things I'm curious about. Going through Canada you essentially deal with just Montreal (been there- not bad at all especially if timed right to avoid traffic anyway) and Ottawa...Our route through the States consists of going through Mass and cutting across NY and hitting outskirts of Albany, Buffalo, Cleveland, Madison, Minneapolis and outright going into Chicago.

Thoughts on what you would do? (Other than just flying...)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. buddyb01

buddyb01 New Member

We go this route from Michigan. One thing to consider is gas prices being cheaper in the states. If it were me, I'd cross at Buffalo and into MI at Sarnia.cross 69 to 75 head north, cross the bridge, head west on US 2 all the way to NDak.head north on 29 at Grand Forks.crossing into CA at Pembina. Good luck!

3. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I think I would eat the 1.5 hours and go the US route. Fuel, food, lodging, unexpected vehicle repairs, ect will be cheaper on the US side. And I am not a fan of Canadian resturants.

Flyfisher likes this.
  4. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

USA route, fuel, food and lodging is cheaper. Late September early October is moose rut/hunting season In Quebec Ontario and Manitoba. Very possible if travelling between the soo and Thunder Bay you will find no fuel stations open at night. In this area a lot of it is single lane each way with 80 kmh speed limit.

I've done the drive from ontario(across border from Detroit) several times., both routes. Go thru the states and get some of those wicked cheese curds and specialty cheeses in Wisconsin.

5. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

I would not go through the MI UP route. Hi winds will close the bridge. and the UP is a grueling 10 hour 55mph 2 lane slow driver, look at the pretty leaves, nightmare

6. buddyb01

buddyb01 New Member

To each his own, I actually enjoy going thru Michigan's UP and seeing the scenery and going the other way in and around Chicago is always a nightmare. I will say to warn against the Mackinac Bridge being closed due to high winds is just bad information. They will direct you to drive slower when it is windy but it takes 65mph sustained winds for it to completely close which happens rarely. I have crossed it at least 50 different occasions and been held up a total of zero times. If you want to go all expressways then go around Chicago but if you want a more scenic route then go thru the UP. Time wise it would be about identical.

7. wavie

wavie Senior Refuge Member

Having grown up in N. Ont and making the trek to the praries several times, I would not suggest the route along the north shore of the great lakes unless your a tourist. Long drive and remote areas with out much in between. Now living in SE MI, i would take a route through the states. Cross at Pembina (open 24 hours i believe) or Turtle mountains (depending on the day of crossing border) in MB to get into Canada.

8. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

Through the States it will be then. My other question is, how much damage should we expect in tolls coming through the States? I know there are 2-3 we will likely have to hit in the northeast from past experience, but what about once we hit Cleveland and beyond headed out?

9. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

actually that information is SOLID as we had to stay the night 2012 in St ignace. Car were allowed across at times but NO pickup with caps or anyone with a trailer. Not fun after driving straight through from sk and only 5 hours from home.

10. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

The Mac bridge is not a concern. I've seen it happen, but not much. 2/3 times a year at most. I love that north drive. Good luck.