What shells do you use for Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Mallard Machete, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Mallard Machete

Mallard Machete Elite Refuge Member

Also, do you have a backup shell that your gun shoots well, that you can use if you're out of your favorite shell that day?

My best shell thus far, has been 3" Hevi 13 #6. White 1 3/4 Oz. until they run out (I have 2 left), then Bronze 1 5/8 Oz.

My backup shell, which my gun seems to like is the 3" Winchester 1 7/8 Oz. #5 in the Red Shell. The cheapest Winchester turkey shells pattern good out to 40 yards, but I've heard of some people shooting 3.5" #4 Lead Supremes and putting as many pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

I got off the 3.5" shell bandwagon a while back. They were not fun to shoot, and didn't show me a performance advantage.

2. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

mm, not knowing what i was doing at the time i bought up a life times worth of remington hevi-shot when walmart put it on sale a couple of years ago. i shoot the 3 in. no'5's through a super mad max hevi-shot choke out of an 835 with a pine ridge reddot. that's way more info than you wanted but it's a turkey killin' mosheen. people ask me to come call for them and i beg them to use my gun because i know what it will do and with a reddot you don't have to worry about them "not getting their head down on the gun." that's why a lot of turkeys are missed.

old

3. Penny Dog

Penny Dog Senior Refuge Member

I use 3 1/2 Hevi-13 #6's a out of a mad max choke and it will almost tear a head off at 30 yards but i would be confident shooting to 50 with it. For my backup shell i carry a few 3 1/2 #4 Winchester Supremes.

4. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I shoot 100gr of pyrodex with a 3 1/2 shotcup full of lead #5. It's taken 3 outside of 50yds. Not my preferred distance but on those instances it was required. All 3 were graveyard dead. The bird I shot at 18 was near headless.

Anyone have any idea on the regulations for flying with Pyrodex? Going on a Rio hunt in Texas and am flyin and would like to take my muzzy. I can take my Xtrema if I have to but would prefer the muzzy! It just makes it that much more fun!

Doug

5. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

don't know dak but if it were me i wouldn't even take the chance. i'd buy it down there.

old

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander Elite Refuge Member

Winchester Supremes

7. muddhen

muddhen Senior Refuge Member

wouldn't shoot that stuff if somebody gave it to me, shoot #8's through a improved cylinder, at 20 yds. i can sometimes get two or three jakes with one shot, more if you count hens but i just let them lay their not legal you know.:dv

8. FOWLMAN1

FOWLMAN1 Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a Remington 870 pump with a super full Rem choke,And ever since they come out with them,I shoot Rem 3'' 4x6 loads.I've taken several birds out around the 30 to 40 yard range with good tight patterns

9. JShelton

JShelton Elite Refuge Member

I use Winchester High Vilocity #5 with a jellyhead choke. (I will have the jellyhead before season.)

Last year I was shooting a EXT Ported Rem Choke with Federal (Flight wad) and I missed 2. I am changing the whole game this year.

10. Cutt'emJack

Cutt'emJack Elite Refuge Member

I like 1 7/16oz of Nitro strait 7's out of an Indian Creek .555 through a Remington 1187 20 gauge. I would not hesitate to use 1 1/4oz of Hevi 13 #6's either with the same choke or with a Swarm .555