What shells do you use for Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Mallard Machete, Feb 13, 2008.

1. birddogs

birddogs Senior Refuge Member

jeff u r right bout one thing, their has been a lot made over this turkey huntin in shells and chokes, but i sure wouldn't want to set down and start picking the turkeys, killed with those ole lead duck loads, and just std. factory full choke barrels, and just a plain ole box caller:tu

2. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

The best pattern comes from Winchester XX Supreme's 3.5" and 2 1/4 oz of #6's - this is my field load. If I am hunting in pretty close, I will shoot some 3 inch 6's of any manufacturer out of a Kicks .660

3. Chopper

Chopper Senior Refuge Member

Federal 3" #4's pattern best for me. I've missed a time or two at 10 yards but smack them good at 35 yards.

4. Duxnbux

Duxnbux Senior Refuge Member

From Ripley, TN but stationed at Barksdale AFB
    Win XR 3" #6 with a Kick's choke for me out of a Beretta A390 24" barrel topped with a reddot scope, deadly setup:tu

5. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I guess I'll chime in on the discussion.

I've patterned Hevi-13, Fed. Heavyweight, Win. Hi-Density and Rem. Hevi-shot (but not the newer Rem Wingmaster HD yet) in 12-gauge 3" turkey loads through my 870 with a Rem. Hevi-shot Super Full extended choke.

Short story, the Win. HD loads were the best at 40 and 50 yards, period. The Rem Hevi-shot loads came in second. I prefer the #5s, too.

That said, inside 40 yards you don't really need these super-premium tungsten-based shot loads to kill turkeys. The less expensive lead turkey loads (Win. loads here, too) will generally take care of any turkey business you have if you keep your shots reasonable (<40 yards).

And, yes, you need to pattern your loads and chokes to make sure they are up to snuff.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Good luck.

6. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Based on a number of recommendations, I just ordered a Primos Jellyhead choke for my Urika 391, and ordered some Winchester Supreme Elite HD in 5's.
    I will be patterning this combo along with a number of lead turkey loads I have from past seasons and will post up the results.

I have a couple of real big Tom's scouted and may need the 50 yard ability as last year these Tom's would hang up way out there.

7. jeffD4L

jeffD4L Senior Refuge Member

PM standard= Pattern Master long range, it is like an extrafull puts 100% well inside a 30in circle at 25yds:tu

8. canvasbk

canvasbk New Member

winchester supreme elites #5
    Browning Gold 10ga
    Pure Gold choke

9. kjrice

kjrice Elite Refuge Member

I have a tricked out Mossberg 500A with a 20" bbl specifically for turkeys bought in 1987. Before all the advances in loads and choke, I could put 8 pellets of Fed 4" copper/buffered 3" in a birds head at 50yds with a full choke. So don't blame the length.