What shot do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Feb 6, 2018.

What do you normally shoot for ducks?

1. Steel

82.8%
  2. Heavy Steel

1.7%
  3. Bismuth

4.3%
  4. Tungsten

6.0%
  5. Other (name it)

5.2%
  1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's right , here when rice was farmed lead was shot for Dove's but as soon as the fields were flooded it became a steel shot only area !
    We don't have to worry about it now as the 1100 acres is now all planted in Nut Tree's ........So , we lost the whole flight coming to the area .
    This seems to be a trend as water issues and conservation have altered the migration some . Beware as Mother Nature is losing out to
    Big Business's Corperate investors !

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

What I should have said about the federal mandate was the Usfws implemented the lead shot phase out stating in ‘86, which affected us here in NC almost immediately. We had to work within criteria set forth by the Feds because some of our places/counties were identified as having high lead injestion mortality rates. The 200 yd. restriction from certain sheet water was required by our game dept so as to be in compliance. Yes, it was stupid but we had no other choice at the time.

3. Ravenanme

So what do you Diver Hunters shoot as some of you are out in very deep water ? Thinking there should be exclusions for where you hunt !
    From reports I have read , small shot sizes ( 4's and smaller ) is what waterfowl pickup so as the greater percentage of Goose hunters use Big Shot ( 2's
    - BBB's ) hunting in a corn field should have the same rules as Deep water hunting ?

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Deep water hunting has the same rules as any other migratory waterfowl hunting: approved non-toxic shot only. No exceptions. That's how it's been for almost thirty years, and we probably aren't going to be seeing any changes in our lifetimes.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Refuge Member

1st post!

Fell in love with waterfowling this year. Younger guy, so I can justify the expense of getting into reloading.

Curious to see if anyone has a cost estimate per 25 shells for reloading that ITX13 vs Bismuth? Say 3" #4's if that's possible.

I am going to be buying a reloading book/manual, don't even have supplies yet I'd just like to start off on the right foot.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

First thing is, you don't want to shoot ITX13 in 4's. Pellet is so dense, you want more pellets in the pattern. Guys are making clean kills on birds at 70 yards with 7's. Look up posts from Bug Doc.

Cost estimates per 25 depend on the cost of your components. ITX13 is going to be more.

Oh, and you CERTAINLY don't need 3" shells with ITX.

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  7. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Refuge Member

Thanks! I wouldn't imagine shooting at a duck at 70 yards, so maybe can go the ITX10 route @ a #5? The area I hunt has geese frequenting marsh and would like to be able to have confidence in my load regardless of what happens to fly by.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I shoot a 20ga. I shoot mostly steel 4's, backed by steel 3's. Inside 40 yards, my birds are DRT.
    So, how far can you hit a bird? National averages say 23 yards. Obviously, everyone posting here is much better than that, so take that into consideration.

We have fun shoots at our trap club. One of the events is the 5x40, where we shoot from the 40 yard line. So, breaking the bird at 55-65 yards. Couple of guys can hit 3 fairly often. Average shooter can't break one.

But, let's say you are a WAY above average shooter, and can hit birds beyond 50 yards. You have to tailor your load and choke to LONG range shooting. Trying to get 80+ hits in the 30" circle at 50 yards. What is that pattern going to look like at 25 yards, when you get the birds to work? Can you say, hamburger?

You said you are just starting out. You don't need the most powerful, long range shells. You need to learn how to get birds in closer. If you start spending $3 per shell, and hitting 1 in 10, you aren't going to have a lot of fun.

These are some good threads on what you are asking. Lots of feedback from guys here.
    http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/shooting-concepts-proper-lead-per-roster.903740/
    http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/waterfowl-range-estimations.903660/
    http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/ammo-performance-differences.903518/
    http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/patterning-a-shotgun-concepts.903250/

Tuleman and Hawkeyebowhunter like this.
  9. Ravenanme

And that's a fact ! But , as you learn the tricks of long-range shooting and have gained experience estimating distances there are benefits to reloading .
    The options of loading higher density shot can be fun in the field but (please) remember the sport of waterfowling is to see how close you can decoy birds
    with your spread and calling ! Shooting at far away birds is , just shooting , and being successful is a low percentage game of on the strap birds .
    Welcome to our playground ! :l:l:yes

10. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

I prefer heavier-than-steel 100% of the time. High density tungsten alloys at 12-15cc/g are a good compromise of performance and price, especially if you are a reloader. If you are expecting opportunities at geese, Hevi-Shot, ITX-13 or HW-13 #4s in 1 1/8oz -1 3/8oz payloads are a good choice if you don't stretch the distance excessively. It is true that getting the birds in close is the ultimate success. However location, weather conditions, and bird themselves will more often than not leave you holding a clean barrel and pocket full of shells if you don’t prepare yourself for some longer pass shooting.