What shot do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Feb 6, 2018.

What do you normally shoot for ducks?

1. Steel

82.8%
  2. Heavy Steel

1.7%
  3. Bismuth

4.3%
  4. Tungsten

6.0%
  5. Other (name it)

5.2%
  1. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Refuge Member

I don't want to be proficient at 55+ yards. I want to have the most confidence in my shells, that if I'm pulling the trigger, a bird is hitting the water. I don't have a dog, and got wet a couple of times chasing diver ducks that were hardy little *******s.

The places I hunt I can get the birds into 30 and in as that's where I'm pretty comfortable. I am a traditional bowhunter so I know all about getting close. I guess I also don't believe in overkill, is rather the shot pass thru the bird than to have it get wounded and swim halfway across the marsh (happened to me once and I was WORE OUT from chasing that bird thru chest high water

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Been doing this for over 55 years, 6 different States and two Countries, and that has never been the case for me.

3. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Of course it hasn’t. But it has been my experience.

4. Drakehammer

No sir not suggesting 55+ yards is required. But if you limit yourself to say 25-30 yard decoy shots, you will be letting opportunities fly away. If thats what you choose there’s nothing wrong with it. You want confidence in a shotshell for whatever you encounter, you’ll learn that tungsten products are superior. Give both steel and tungsten a try. Prove it to yourself.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  5. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Refuge Member

I wasn't overly impressed with the steel. Some dropped dead in the air, had a couple I had to shoot again in the water, and a couple that swam a ways.

I need more practice of course and will do so, and am not averse to taking crossing shots either, just not out to super long distances until I'm comfortable. Thanks for the reply!

Drakehammer likes this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Who is limiting shots to 35 yards? 45 yards is easy/peasy with steel.
    Again, what percentage of hunters can consistently hit birds at 50 yards and beyond, unless you are simply flock shooting? 45 yards is a long shot, for anybody.

Use tungsten shot if you want. Advocating it as the 'go to' pellet type is monetarily wasteful. 90% of hunters don't need it.

7. Drakehammer

Well if you read his post you’ll see the man mentioned 30 yards as his comfort zone. I seem to recall you suggesting most can’t kill consistently beyond 23 yards. So what are you trying to say? You’re sending a mixed message.

Not sure. With 55 years of doing this I figure you should have that statistic memorized. Nonetheless, in my opinion, the percentage of people that can do this or that is irrelevant. Just because you may not be able to do it, doesn't mean He can’t. Besides, since you apparently limit yourself to steel, you’d most likely never know what you’re really capable of.

Ok. Is 45 yards easy/peasy or is 45 yards a long shot for anybody?

Oh I think advocating steel as the “go to” pellet type for 90% of hunters is monetarily wasteful, frustrating, and arguably unethical. I’ve made tungsten believers out of many fellow duck hunters. To each his own.

8. Native NV Ducker

Had that happen in the days of lead also. Happens no matter what kind of pellet you use.

Here's the thing. Tungsten is great stuff. It is great for long ranges. Once a pellet passes through a bird, it doesn't do anything else. All that excess energy is wasted. I mentioned Bug Doc earlier. He posted results (which I happen to believe) of kills at 70 yards with ITX 7's. He was jump shooting, so pretty easy to get the yardage close.
    He did the pattern work (and posted pics for us) and it was impressive.

But even he did not advocate using those loads over decoys, or inside 40 yards. Waste of money.

Killing ducks isn't about having a pellet that will pass through a bird and keep going. It is about reaching vitals. Head/Neck/Heart/Lung/Spine. You need 3-5 hits on a bird to hit a vital. There is a lot of research out there now that will tell you what kinds of pellets you need, at what ranges. Here is a link to some average load weights....
    http://shotshell.drundel.com/pelletcount.htm

So, what is the 'best' shot type. *Trick question*
    'Best' is what works for each shooter. Joe Big Bucks may say a matrix shot is the best one out there, but since he doesn't shoot with me, how would he know. He doesn't know what kinds of birds I shoot, how far I can hit birds with reasonable certainty of a kill, and what my ammo budget is like. If I kill 250 birds a season, and I shoot at 50%, that is 500 shells. (BTW, 50% is a very reasonable average over a season, when you consider follow up shots on wounded birds. I 'think' the National average is 7 shots per bird) So, for me, that is $140. For Joe Big Bucks, that is (@3.00 per shell) $1500 Oh, you reload, and can bring in a tungsten shell for $1.50 per? $750.

I guess I am getting old. Or maybe Dad just taught me the right way. I like to see the colors of the birds when I raise up. Not just grey shapes flying by. I also like knowing when threads about skybusters start up, they aren't taking about me. I like being ethical, knowing my pattern at that range will be mainly on the bird I want, and not the 5 other birds flying loosely in the flock. See, that's what hunting has become for me. Not worrying about if I got my barrel dirty.

Hawkeye, you are new to the sport. Do yourself a favor, and spend many hours reading threads in this forum about reloading, shell choices, choke choices, and shooting techniques. Everything said here in this thread has been said before, for the most part. There is a lot more out there.
    And, be careful when someone says anything is the 'best', unless they are talking about price.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

The BEST Price on good steel shot ammo , I load myself , even some of the High Density shot I load is way cheaper than store bought !
    The major cost for being able to load these shells has been the time that has been spent researching the recipes for these loads , then the
    testing on the patterning board to see IF they'll perform for me ! New Fellas on these forums are lucky , if they just spend sometime getting
    acquainted with a few of the "knowledgeable Reloaders" on this and other forums but take the time a prepare yourself with the basics of reloading ( you can find this in , Lymans 5th edition and Reloading Specialties manuals ) then the light will come-on as information is shared
    with you !
    FYI , the quality of the ammo is only inhanced by the ability of the shooter shooting it !

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Modern steel loads, with the correct size shot, will kill ducks as far away as most hunters can hit the birds. In other words, the load isn't the limiting factor, the shooter is....in most cases.
    You can cripple birds with any type of shot made. There is no magic shot, just good, better, best....and you can miss with any of it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Drakehammer likes this.