What shot do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Feb 6, 2018.

What do you normally shoot for ducks?

1. Steel

82.8%
  2. Heavy Steel

1.7%
  3. Bismuth

4.3%
  4. Tungsten

6.0%
  5. Other (name it)

5.2%
  1. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter New Member

That's not what I'm saying.

Steel works, has for some time. Is there a better alternative, where in the same exact scenario shot A works better than shot B????

Yes. I want to put as many tools in my arsenal as I can. I'm going to shoot more focusing on the types of shot I experienced last year as my first time waterfowling. I have been practicing a ton with my nice new duck call. I am going to scout, find out why the birds are where they are....and I'm going to shoot @ least Kent's Bismuth loads as they are more efficient at doing what I buy shotgun shells to do-put down ducks ethically.

Simple physics says that the heavier the shot itself is, the more efficient it is going to be at the same or similar speeds in doing what I need it to do (kill ducks)-assuming I can get it to pattern well.

gadwall52 likes this.
  2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

If you use the proper steel loads it will do the job for just about any type of water fowling situation, yeah Tungsten shot is great I was probably shooting it before you got out of High School. I can load steel shot up to 1800 fps and it it's just as effective IF a person knows how to control it with the proper load and choke, I'm surprised being the EXPERT you think you are you haven't figured that out already.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you are on the right track, Hawkeye. Just remember, the time you put in on the skeet and sporting clays ranges will do more to improve your birds/shell ratio than any bismuth or tungsten loads you choose to use.
    For example, last season I killed 146 ducks/geese(it was a slower-than-average year; my best year was 2013 with 235 birds) and shot 251 shells doing it. This was ALL shots, including those used to finish cripples, both my cripples and my partner's cripples. That gives me a ratio of 1 bird for every 1.72 shells. I shot nothing but steel loads to get those numbers. As you can see, using a higher-density load would not have appreciably improved my ratio, certainly not to the point of making the more expensive shells more cost-effective.

Hawkeyebowhunter and Drakehammer like this.
  4. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Bless your heart. You’d be better off not assuming anything. I don’t think I’m an EXPERT at all but I’m no cherry either. Do you really wanna get personal too? Don’t go there pal.

Since you mentioned it, I graduated from HS in 1988 so now you know. I’m just finishing my PhD up now. I don’t recommend waiting this many years if you're thinking about going back to school.

I actually have been down the “hypervelocity steel” path, around the same time I was stocking up on RWHD from Dick’s...about 10 years ago best l can recall. I found that stuff facinating yet very challenging.

I still have about 25 bottles of that old MEC steel (5 pounders IIRC from #2s-BBBs). I picked them up from a friend for $5 a bottle around that same time. He was a goose hunter and fellow sporting clays shooter that had quit loading steel in favor of tungsten (he was a brilliant guy). I bet With your experience you’ve reloaded that bottled MEC steel before.

Well, I had two manuals that I studied (PR and RSI). Of particular interest to me was a 3/4 oz RSI load at an advertised 1800fps (for some reason 1795fps rings a bell). I don’t have that manual handy, but best I can recall, I loaded 3/4 oz of BPI STEEL #3s in a 2 3/4” Active hull with SAM 1 wads and felt spacers. Seems like that recipe called for somewhere between 42gr-46gr of Alliant Steel, Fed GM hulls, and W209 primers, but I substituted the Active hull and a Federal 209 primer. I spent a little time with that load (as well as a couple of 3” and 3 1/2” loads) on the grease board at my gun club in Vermont. I got those once fired 3” and 3 1/2” Remington hulls while at a skeet tourny down the road from Remington in Ilion, NY. Think I gave $10 each for 135 count standard clay target boxes filled with those long hulls. I digress.

Anyway, I had studied a little bit about penetration and pellet count lethality (Roster) for ducks and geese. IIRC I had determined that if i could get adequate pellet count on target, that 3/4oz, 1800fps, #3 steel load would kill out to 50 yards. 50 yards was my goal for primarily for two reasons...at that time my two-shot break percentage on crossing clay targets was better than 50% at 50 yards so I felt capable, and I was hunting primarily on Lake Champlain where for me pass shooting mallards and blacks was the norm as I sucked getting them into the decoys. So I made 50 yards my goal.

I patterned that 3/4 oz load from my SBE II and my M1 Super 90, using Carlson and Trulock extended chokes from 0.015”-0.030” constriction. I also patterned one of my Rem 1100s with a Pro-Bore barrel and Seminole chokes from 0.015”-0.035” constriction. I don’t remember my percentages but my best patterns were marginal.

I didn’t pursue steel reloading too much farther for a couple of reasons. Of the 5 or 6 chosen steel loads, I didn’t find any load that I felt really good about at 50 yards. My steel reloading tests were not extensive, but at that time I also patterned a handful of my RWHD. They were phenomenal. This was an immediate no brainer for me. I was paying $0.35 a shot more for RWHD than Fed BC, and I bought a ton of it. As far as my kill rate, I found myself killing more ducks with less shots and far less recoil than the commercial steel loads I had started out with. I did not have to adjust my shooting leads from my clay target shooting either. So thats my story.

Some day I do hope to get back to those barn burner steel reloads. I just have no need at this time.

So tell me. What makes you forum VETS so territorial? You guys remind me of Ned S (the young 80 year old who had 64 differen’t chokes)...not that thats a bad thing.

What else you wanna know?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Your already a self proclaimed expert so you can figure the hard part out I'm not going to argue with you. If you actually knew Ned and listened to him you would be able to pattern very fast steel loads up to 1800 fps with no problems, we used to all share information on here to help each other out not try and impress everybody with what we knew.

6. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Do you have anything valuable to say or do you just like to insult and talk out your rear? I never proclaimed anything. All I’ve done is share my thoughts, opinions, experience and some science, as accurately and completely as I can. I make plenty of mistakes, but so far I haven’t seen anyone refute anything with validity. I try to accept information with gratitude and humility. Maybe you could get some yourself.

Hell Yes! Yes I can. But it is sad that you would take that position rather than get your manners and your ego back in check.

Good. I can’t help that you and a handful of your chronies get butthurt when you can’t run roughshod over someone like me. Some of you guys have been jerks from day one. Thats what you get back. You start making civil, valuable comments. That's what you’ll get back.

Never had the need or desire to know any more about Ned than I already do. He had a tendency to whine and take personal shots at people that expressed different facts, opinions and experiences. Insecure...same as Some of you guys.

Well you should get back to doing that without being sarcastic and condescending towards new members and inexperienced people.

Debatable.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

What happened to Jesse's posts?

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

They are still there. He requested a name change. Happened a few days ago.

9. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

To what????

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

The guy posting like crazy, with 71 posts, so far.

10GAGENUT likes this.