What shot do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Feb 6, 2018.

What do you normally shoot for ducks?

1. Steel

83.1%
  2. Heavy Steel

1.7%
  3. Bismuth

4.2%
  4. Tungsten

5.9%
  5. Other (name it)

5.1%
  1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Steel's the deal.

Billy Bob and olepal like this.
  2. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

Remington Wingmaster HD 2 3/4" #6 through an IC choke tube is the most deadly shotgun shell I have ever used, bar none. I wanted to cry when they quit making them. Instead, I bought as much as I could get my hands on, but most of what was available was 3" 4s and 6s, which are overkill.

I also like Kent Tungsten Matrix 2 3/4" #5 for really close range (timber, etc.) and I back those up with Winchester ER 2 3/4" #5.

I'm getting low on all of these and suppose I will have to explore other alternatives at some point?

From an economic perspective, the cost of top dollar, high performance shells is nothing compared to everything else I spend on duck hunting. I don't take many long shots and I kill a high percentage of what I shoot at, so total cost of shells in a season is not something I give much thought to.

Drakehammer likes this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Alone or hunting in small groups, the premium stuff is great and won't kill the budget because you won't really shoot that many shells. Hunting in bigger groups can dramatically increase the number of shells you shoot. That's especially true if you are like me and a terrible shot in a group. Seems I'm always one of the last to have a limit.

pud123 likes this.
  4. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

You are correct. I rarely hunt in large groups and when I do, I find myself sitting with my fingers in my ears until everyone else finishes!

I typically shoot less than 100 rounds a year at ducks and I frequently hunt alone. I tend to approach duck hunting like turkey hunting; it's more about getting them to come where I want them to be than it is about killing them.

JFG likes this.
  5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Have to admit I still love being the bad shot in a big group. That practice really pays off when I hunt alone or with a small group.

Sunklands likes this.
  6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

;)

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Close as your going to get is Heavyweight 13 shot and that you have to load yourself of find somebody to load it for you.
    The Kent TM is really good, I'm not even sure Kent is still making that.

8. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Tried the expensive stuff, didn't see a bit of difference than regular steel. Decided years ago to just shoot one size shot for ducks and geese. Been shooting Number 1 steel and not had any problems killing birds.

9. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

There was a time when time when I also only shot steel #1's, but I found that I got better patterns with #2's and #BB's and quit shooting #1's completely. Whatever works for you is the way to go.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Then you can probably afford to use shells that cost $3-$4 each.
    I typically shoot 250-450 shells in a season and cannot justify spending up to $1800 a year on waterfowl hunting ammo....not when steel loads at 40 cents a shot does just as good a job for the type of duck hunting I do.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018