Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

what size motor

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Hardcore Waterfowler, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

If this has been asked already I apologize. I have a 12 ft boat that needs a new gas motor. How big a motor can I put on the boat without over powering it. Its a mirror craft boat.

2. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

There should be a plate on the boat stating the max HP for it.

3. Hardcore Waterfowler

I looked for that, and either missed it, or the previous owner took it off. I'm thinking a 9.9 horse, but wanted to see if anyone else had any insight or experience in this area.

4. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Usually it is on the outside of transom.
    IMO 9.9 is a safe option. Probably you can go higher (if you want)but try look by manufacturer. Phone: 920-855-2168 info@mirrocraft.com

Usually the advice is to go for max.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Dogface likes this.
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Powering it beyond the max on the plate is illegal and if there is any kind of accident, you can be liable for what ever the lawyer can drum up. Measure the width of the bottom at the transom and contact the manufacturer. See if there is a serial or model number somewhere.

6. Hardcore Waterfowler

Thanks guys!! Very helpful. I will call mirrocraft today. Thanks again for your help.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If it (that model boat) was never USCG approved for recreation, it may not have a HP plate. I have a 14' boat that has a sticker stating it is a commercial boat with no HP restrictions. It has zero flotation in it. You should be OK with a 9.9. That 14' I have is just a bit under-powered with a 9.9. Pushes it with 2 guys fine, if you aren't wanting to go more than 10-12MPH. It will make 22MPH completely empty with just me in it.

8. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I've seen 12 footers rated for anywhere between 6 to 15 horsepower. Depends on a few things. Here is how to figure it out based on length, width, transom and bottom type

http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/hp.html

9. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

• I'd go 15hp, 10/15hp engines are usually built using the same block and the weight is about the same. As far as the legality of overpowering a boat, it depends on the state. As Tailfeathers says, it is illegal in Virginia to exceed the capacity plate, but there is no Coast Guard (Federal) statute. Liability is a completely different thing, knowingly overpowering a boat then getting into in an accident involving speed can open you up to a can of worms liability wise. If you personally rig a boat that is overpowered and then sell it, the liability follows you!!