What the experts say

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by borntohunt, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Timberrunner205

Timberrunner205 New Member

But it is sad we've gotten to the point where we hope a state above us is dry and we have water just forms chance to have ducks. We all know that you use to be able to watch the weather and know a push of ducks was on the way and when to be hunting

2. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

On any subset area of a survey, we never know where additional birds come from. What we know is that all December surveys are done after the first split and include redistribution from hunting pressure. So if Rockefeller has more birds than the last 15 years, and November's survey was NOT the highest in the last 15 years, and hunting pressure was NOT the highest in the last 15 years, then the difference is likely due to something else. Given the weather and dry conditions to the north .......

3. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Ah ha a deductive assumption.

And furthermore Eric DC said these dry fronts are not moving any new birds in so I’m not so certain this 15 year high is attributable to a grand passage if you will.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  4. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

And vice versa which was my point originally.

5. Hiram Evans

Hiram Evans Senior Refuge Member

I don't know who to believe in this thread. Ducks, no ducks, water, no water, weather, no weather. I am so confused.

6. Steel3's

That settles it then.

"Grand Passage"? Re-read my first post about this weather event leaving plenty of ducks still in IL ..... at least compared to average.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  7. Steel3's

The 2 lines we flew yesterday that go through Rockefeller weren't anything special, but going north between Little Pecan and Grand Lake ..... WOW! More pintails than I remember counting in the marsh.

8. Steel3's

I got a report yesterday from the LDWF Monroe Office saying they are 14 inches below normal rainfall, the second NE aerial survey was similar to the first and below this time last year, and that hunters should be careful on NE WMAs due to low water in many areas.

Still, there are pretty good numbers of birds on managed water. On our way to Catahoula Lake this morning, we saw a few flooded fields loaded up with birds in that big un-surveyed area in central LA.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  9. Ckinchen

Ckinchen New Member

Have you guys been out to the Johnson Bayou area or any area west of highway 27?

10. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

The 2 lines we flew yesterday that go through Rockefeller weren't anything special, but going north between Little Pecan and Grand Lake ..... WOW! More pintails than I remember counting in the marsh.

That sure is some purdy marsh over yonder.