What to do in SE AZ?

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by ALMODUX, Oct 14, 2012.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

What's there to do in southeast Arizona, Nov.-March? Sierra Vista, Cochise/Santa Cruz county area? Not yet sure if I'll bring any hunting guns or gear, but will need something enchoyable on the weekends. Thanks in advance. :)

2. ALMODUX

Okay, I know Tombstone is nearby, and mountains even bigger than my old stomping grounds in the Sierra Madres, but what else?

3. Birdup

Birdup Moderator Moderator

Are you talking hunting and outdoors stuff or things to do with a wife/girlfriend or something to do with the family?

4. ALMODUX

Outdoors stuff, mainly. It will likely be tough for me to really hunt much, but hiking, just seeing new places, historical stuff, etc. Won't have my family with, thanks to th Army. ;). I just know I'm going to want to get away from the military town/base crap (no offense to the younger crowd) and be 'normal' a bit. If I can bird/duck hunt, I might, but not asking for any 'ins'. I do think there's probably some pretty terrain to upland hunt in...trout streams in the higher ups? I also dig my geography and western history stuff. I'll just probably be ready to get outside some and/or around a different group of people. ;)

5. Birdup

Birdup Moderator Moderator

Ok just remember that any area in the outdoors you go in southern Az, you need to be armed. In AZ you do not need a permit to open or conceal carry. That stuff you hear about the southern AZ areas not being safe is for real.

There is a ton of cool stuff there. Where are you stationed?

6. ALMODUX

I'm 'visiting' Sierra Vista/huachuca, November -April.

I'll probably be back in Alabama for Christmas, but I'll be in Cochise County the rest of the time.

Good points on the border issues, and I already plan to carry when I can. New Mexico is the only state I'm uncertain about reciprocity for my CCW, while traveling

Thanks.

7. deadeyedick

deadeyedick Senior Refuge Member

Well, Bisbee is a cool old town to visit and so is Douglas. We ride down there quite a bit. Tombstone is just too fake to really be any fun. As for waterfowl hunting, unless you call jump shooting tanks hunting , you're pretty much out of luck. There is some quail hunting around Sierra Vista and on the base itself. I dont know of any streams to fish ( doesnt mean there arent any ) but there is a little lake that has bass , blue gil etc just south of Sonoita. Watch for snakes, they will still be around.

8. ALMODUX

Thanks. Will do. :)

9. takeem1

takeem1 Senior Refuge Member

There is some of the best duckhunting in Arizona in cochise county and not jump shooting, actually decoying mallards, pintails, wigeon, etc....
    The quail hunting is some of the best in the country also. That's why cabelas owns ground there. Just need to do some homework. ;)

10. deadeyedick

deadeyedick Senior Refuge Member

The place you are thinking of doesnt have any water.