What to do with goose legs: a recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by The Other David, Jan 17, 2006.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

For years I tossed goose legs because they were a hassle to get out and they were tough as tires.

Then somebody told me a secret: very low temperature and very long cook time.

So, here is the recipe as I have modified it:

In a heavy skillet pour enough olive oil (and I like to use a bit of sesame oil as well) to completely cover the bottom. I can't tell you how much is enough, but I know it when I see it.

Add all your favorite spices. I go with fresh rosemary, italian seasoning, bay leaves, and garlic. I add some wine, too. Usually white.

Then add your goose legs.

Cover the skillet and cook at the lowest possible temperature for 12 to 24 hours. It is done when the meat literally falls off the bones. Remove the legs and get all the meat. Check for shot and bone splinters. I like to cut up the meat at this point, but it is not necessary.

Now you have to make a choice: soup or spread.

For spread, just mix everything up and serve with good soft bread or crackers.

For soup, transfer to the proper size pot, add more veggies like broccoli, carrots, red and yellow bell peppers, onions, etc. A hot pepper or two is nice. Add more water and cook till veggies are done. Then add egg noodles or barley and cook till that is done.

Mmmmmm, good on a cold day!

2. QuacknBoom

QuacknBoom Senior Refuge Member

I like goose and duck legs the best. I always cook them in a crock pot for 10 or 12 hours then use the meat for whatever. Most times I add it to a gumbo mix. If cooked long enough, they are very tender.