What to do with hot peppers?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by duckmauler, Jun 15, 2006.

1. duckmauler

duckmauler Senior Refuge Member

I have some peppers in my garden are ready for the picking and I'm at a loss with what to do with them all. I've got banana, cayanne, and jalapeno. I've done the hot vinegar thing before, was was looking for something different. Maybe drying them out and crushing them up? What do you suggest?

Thanks

2. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Here's a fun idea I use:
    You get the Certa liquid used for making cooked jam and follow the recipe for pepper jam except use the vinegar option,grind the peppers fine in a food processor and use a dozen Habaneros (seeded) instead of the Jalapenos.
    Use orange/red/green bell peppers for color.
    Then process the jam as stated.

It makes a condiment for duck/game that is outstanding and has a good kick of heat.

Maybe you could smoke/dry your jalapenos and make your own chipole peppers.

3. SteveB

SteveB Banned

I love pickled banana pepper rings!
    Steve

4. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

That pepper jam can be super- I have some my friend made--I usually freeze a bunch-- dry a bunch and eat a bunch-- all are good in winter.of course pickling them is really super way to go so you have a reason to drink beer- and you can also make & freeze salsa.

5. Escopeton

Escopeton Senior Refuge Member

Jalapenos Toreados:

Cut off the stem of the jalapeno. Using a small paring knife, seed it and take out most of the ribs. Cut a small stick of mozzarella (you can use the string cheese that kids eat) just big enough to fit inside. Wrap a slice of bacon over the cheese and around the jalapeno and secure with a toothpick. Grill until the bacon is done and enjoy.

Roasted chiles:

(Chile Caribe variation)

Roast in an oven or over a grill until the skins are blackened. Place in a bowl and cover with wrap and let sweat for awhile. Once they are cool enough to handle, peel the chiles, remove the stem and seeds. Chop up the chiles well. Chop up a couple of tomatoes, garlic, some onion, cilantro leaves, salt and pepper. Use as a topping for burgers, eggs, sandwiches, tacos, etc.

6. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

7. Escopeton

Escopeton Senior Refuge Member

Yes, I have seen these before. I saw a TX one when I had was at a show in Amarillo this past winter. Of course, I would want one with a NM state and the maker said he could have it out to me quickly. I didn't get one. I can see how much easier it would make it, though.

8. fblawton

fblawton Refuge Member

I like to make the jam out of them or smoke them for something different, most of the time the end up in my salsa.

9. W.M.Cajun

W.M.Cajun Senior Refuge Member

I put peppers with everything. Eatem raw or you can stuff them with cream cheese and slap yo mamma seasoning and wrap with bacon...:tu

10. Dogg

Dogg Senior Refuge Member

Put that pepper jelly on a block of cream cheese with some toasted rye points washed down with a real cold beer...:tu