What to plant for doves?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Wade Walling, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Wade Walling

Wade Walling Elite Refuge Member

Me and my buddy want to plant something to sttract more doves to his property. We were thinking about planting sunflower but not sure which would be best...he owns a lot of land which is cornfeild where we are planning to plant is a small open area which has trees and grass we plan on plowing an area of bare dirt where the farm house used to be. Any help is welcome and appreciated.

2. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

sunflowers are hard to beat for doves. the state of KY pays farmers to plant sunflower plots then they let the public hunt it on certain days. don't spend a ton of money on certified seed sunflower. Just go to a local pet store or farm supply store and buy untreated sunflower seed meant for bird feeding. put it on at a rate of 50 -100 pounds per acre and you should have a great stand. My problem with sunflower is the deer, they eat the heads when they first start to form:D oh well, deer gotta eat too, I just plant extra to compensate.

3. silvermallard

silvermallard Elite Refuge Member

Gee, Pentail, there's all kinds of things we agree on! ;)

Sunflowers, Wade...Sunflowers. Broadcast and then knife em in, put em in rows, whatever floats your boat; but SUNFLOWERS.

My ideal dove field is Brown Top Millet planted the year before, burned and disked when ripe. Then plant sunflowers w/corn planter on finely-disked soil...the more the merrier! About a 5 acre plot surrounded by narrow tree lines and power lines, with a 1 acre pond in the middle. Yeah....that's the ticket!

4. MSDuckmen

MSDuckmen Moderator Moderator

No doubt that Sunflowers are the best.

When planting I would suggest rows and use 10-10-10 fertilzer mixed in the soil during planting.

Once they come to head and start to dry spray salt water on the plants and this will make the stalks stand longer, less bugs, keeps the weeds out and the dove love the salt.

Here is a picture of our field with duckhunt4 and son

[​IMG]

5. KleenKill

KleenKill Senior Refuge Member

sunflower's all the way.........

READY.......SHOOT..........YOU MISSED AGAIN CUZ............

6. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

sunflowers are by far the best, plating them in rows is much better than broadcasting, the stalk is much stronger and they dont blow over as easy. i lay down treflan (herbicide) before i plant for grass supression, works very well to i might add and then plant on a 36" row. thats wide enough so i can cut the weeds out during the summer. as far as fertilizer goes, go to your local FS and as for a buket of 18-46-0 (DAP) and 0-0-60. most fertilizers take 6 moths to break down and become available to the plant so it wont really help this years crop any. other than that keep the weeds out and mow em down about 10 days before season, and buy alot of shells!

7. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

does treflan suppress other weeds, or broadleaf weeds? how soon after you apply it can you plant sunflowers, or milo, or millet? how much does it cost (per acre) roughy to apply? i'm just trying to learn something new here, so anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

i'm going to be planting a mix of sunflowers, milo, and millets in the next few weeks. i've been hitting the weeds with roundup during the last few days.

8. MSDuckmen

MSDuckmen Moderator Moderator

Roundup will kill all it contacts, If you are planning on planting you need to wait at least three weeks after your last spray.

The field should be clear of as much grass as possible. We will disc and harrah the field once it is down to the bare soil we will use a 50lb bag of lime per acer and drag it in.

We row our sunflowers and broadcast the millet and milo. Fertilzer is added once the seed is out.

You can buy the untreated sunflower seed from walley world or any co-op to plant. I perfer the wild bird seed from walley world as you can usually get it for 4.50 a 50 bout bag and if you ask many times they have damaged bags they will let go for less.

I also broadcast wheat at the same time and once your field is fully grown you can cut rows out of your millet/milo growth a little at a time and keep the birds in the area longer.

I have done this for about 10 years now and everyone in this area comes to us for opening day hunting.

We do a 80 acre field in three locations, it will give us good hunting all the way through Dec. Nothing better than a dove hunt after a morning duck hunt.

Cost is around 8.00 a acre, we will have as many as 40 people go in together. That is not a problem when you know you will be able to hunt it every weekend for four months.

We are doing this on a large scale but can be done on a much smaller scale for personal use. It cost each of us alittle under 500.00 each for the season but we will take thousands of birds over the four month period.

9. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

oldsquaw,
    don't you have trouble with the treflan (pre-emergent to stop weed seed from germinating) vastly lowering your sunflower germination rate? I know it has a label for some larger seed such as beans, but we have noticed that even the larger seed has a lower germ rate when using treflan. If I recall correctly, the rate for areas to be reseaded with large seed is about 30-40 pounds per acre. just wonderin as I have never used treflan on a soon to be seeded plot, only as a control after target plants are up. thanks for the info.

10. TexasGeese

TexasGeese Elite Refuge Member

Cant beat a good disked milo field down here in the beginning of the season. We will have 4-5000 birds swarming one field. All have full craws.