What to plant for erosion control this time of year on dam

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by bbfky, Sep 9, 2017.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Built a pond in June and seeded it with proso millet recommended by the local seed company because it would come up and survive the hot summer. Well it came up ok but since the soil sucked it didn't get above 6 inches tall and is now dead so I need to plant the dam again so it doesn't wash out. Parts of it washed pretty good when we got 5 inches of rain last week and need to get something down before the rain this week. I was thinking winter wheat or 50 % rye/ fescue mix. I just want some cover since there is so much bare dirt. Any recommendations? I will probably fertilize next spring and plant Japanese millet for the birds and just mow it so it only reaches a foot or two tall.

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Cereal rye will do it. It also is aleopathic and dirt cheap. Just don't let it go to seed. I've got 120 lbs but can't get any rain to plant it. I am not a fescue fan.

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Don't plant fescue if you ever want to plant something else, that weed will be the bain of your existence.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

If your soil was "sucky" a few months ago, what's been done that will make it any better this time around?

Before I bought any seed, I'd get a quick check of the PH level which in turn would help you choose something that might grow well. But you have a double whammy going against you; the remainder of the growing season is winding down and this will also limit you in your choices of seed. Rye usually is a quick fix but will it grow appropriately on what you have is the question.

Had exact same issues as you. Lime, fertilizer, box blade, rake, disk, drag, and time eventually got my erosion under control. Lot of trial and error. Be patient, you'll get it whipped ..

5. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

I have fertilized it since, it just gets baked in the sun and we had weeks in between any rain this summer. I have 100lbs of wheat left over that I might try and get that down and 50lbs of millet left prob save this for next year. I have disced and fixed the run off areas, those bulldozers leave some serious tracks. I spent many hours with a box blade and after they harvest the beans will spend many more grading things again because the dam is horseshoe shaped and the beans were planted before the pond was built. Haven't figured out the long term solution. Unfortunately can't get the 10ft cultipacker on the dam safely so lots of back dragging after I put the seed down and using the tires and bucket to be my cultipacker. Thanks for the advice

6. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

annual winter rye.